Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jojolola

opinions - new hvac system in fl

jojolola
11 years ago

I just purchased a home in Punta Gorda FL about one year ago. The home is on a saltwater canal and is currently a seasonal rental property (I pay the electric). In about 3 or 4 years I will transition the home to a second � snowbird property. The house is 3,000 sq foot ranch with an open floor plan and is 12 years old.

The orginal system is 5 � Ton Trane TWE060P13FBO Air handling unit (in the garage) with P060E100AO Condensing Unit & 15KW heating element.

The coil is leaking and I was quoted $1,600 plus refrigerant for the repair. So I figured I would get some quotes on a replacement system.

The quotes I have received so far (AFTER MANUFACTURE REBATE & FPL REBATES):

American Standard

16 SEER Allegiance A/C (Gold Air)

10/10/10 Warranty

$6,000

Bryant

Legacy 16 SEER

Air Handler: FX4DNF061

Condensing Unit: 116BNA060

10/10/10 Warranty

$6,695

Carrier

Performance/Comfort Series 16 SEER

Air Handler: FV4ANF006

Condensing Unit: 24ACC6060

10/10/10 Warranty

$7,195

Lennox

Lennox Signature 18.5 SEER

Air Handler: XC21-CBX32MV060

Condensing Unit: XC21048

10/10/10 Warranty

$7,600

Trane

18 SEER

Air Handler: TAM7A0C60

Condensing Unit: 4TTZ060

10/10/10 Warranty

$8,600

All quotes are from reputable contractors. All include Digital thermostat, purging the cooper lines, duct seal and sanitize for new FL code. The Lennox system includes 3 years of maintenance and filters. Both Carrier and Lennox have 0% - 12 month financing (which makes it nice). I�m leaning towards the Lennox system, but the American Standard is $1,600 less expensive. I welcome any input and opinions.

Comments (7)

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

I would like to see the model numbers of the AmStd quote both condenser and air handler.

Since you are in Florida and apparently are being quoted only AC condensers with heat strip rather than HP, I would want at least a two stg heat strip. Both Trane and AmStd offer a 7/12 and 10/15 KW heat strip.

What is your average winter low for your location? Any other source of
    heat?

Trane and AmStd HVAC hold up better and last longer in a harsh coastal environment.

Post back.

IMO

• jojolola
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the relpy - I will try to get the model numbers for the AmStd. I up-loaded the avg temps for the town, max cold ever recorded was 23 degrees for 2 days. Punta Gorda is below the sub-tropical line in FL. There are no other heat sources. I asked all the contractors (5) about heat pumps and not one recommeded it for a sub-tropical region.

• david_cary
    11 years ago

I wonder why not a heat pump. Maybe the heating is only $50 a year with heat strips.

I would definitely go Trane and make sure you have their coastal add-on for the warranty.

• jojolola
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Does Trane/American Standard using an aluminum evaporative coil help in the coastal enviroment? I believe the Lennox is cooper. I guess with a full ten year parts/labor warranty it may not matter to much.

Also the Lennox can be equiped with the Even Heater - a stage heating strip, and includes the icomfort thermostat.

• jojolola
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The American Standard Part Numbers are:

Condensing Unit: Gold XI SEER 16 Model 4A7A5061E
    Air Handler: Platinum XV Multi-Speed Model TAM7A0C60H51

Thank you for all the help.

• jojolola
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The American Standard Part Numbers are:

Condensing Unit: Gold XI SEER 16 Model 4A7A5061E
    Air Handler: Platinum XV Multi-Speed Model TAM7A0C60H51

Thank you for all the help.

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

Jojo

Nothing wrong at all with the AS quote.

I believe this condenser is in fact 2 stage. You should verify with your dealer.

As mentioned, I suggest three things.

1. A two stage heat strip
    2. At the minimum Trane 803 or HW 8321 thermostat. The HW VP IAQ with DOD would be the best for humidity control.
    3. A whole house pleated media filter cabinet.

IMO