o
portable air conditioner

Posted by trinity_2010 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 9, 11 at 18:37

can anyone recommend a quality one?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: portable air conditioner

Your first step is to get one with two hoses rather than one. The ones with one hose suck air out of your house almost as fast as it can be cooled.

o

Bought the one below for a server closet at work, has run 24/7 for over a year now without problems. And we've never had to empty the tank, since the 2nd hose exhausts most of the moisture. Agree with ionized above, the single hose models are mostly useless.

Here is a link that might be useful: Two hose portable AC

o

I own a single hose and it is great to sit or stand in front of but to cool a room you might as well forget it.

o

@crdnh do u think the 2 hose btu is close to the same btu as wall/window unit?

o

No, the portable doesn't "feel" nearly as powerful as a window unit, even though it might be rated the same btus. I suspect that's because the portable unit itself gives off heat into the room, which is less of a factor in a window AC.

Portables are more expensive up front and less efficient - the EER of a 12Kbtu/hr portable is 8.7, vs. 10.8+ for a window unit. Not sure I'd recommend a portable if a window unit is an option.

o

a window is available but i only have one in the bedroom and want to have access to it, also I might move this in between the office and the bedroom.

i am not even sure i need this unit as the 15kbtu window unit in the living room is doing a decent job, i was looking at this as more a secondary back up kinda unit....thanx for answering

o

You should as yourself how big is your area need to cool down, I can say that the cooling performance can be same as window one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Visit here

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here