Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pleasantonca

Lennox QUote

PleasantonCA
9 years ago

Hi, can someone please help me do a sanity check on this quote?

5 Ton XC25 060 AC unit
5 Ton Coil
SLP98V 110,000 BTU furnace
PureAir Purification system
2 iComfort Wi-Fi control units
Pull all the permits and install over 2 days
$18,599 includes all fees and taxes

Comments (9)

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

For what size home?

What is your location?

And what size and efficiency are you replacing both furnace and AC?

Why 2 controllers?

Post back.

IMO

• PleasantonCA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The house is 6000 Sq feet and this unit is for the top floor which is 3000 feet. I am in the east bay of CA where the summer temps get into triple digits. The unit that is being replaced is a 15 year old Carrier that was 8 Seer in its day. The existing furnace is an 80% efficiency unit. The 2'nd controller is included to ensure that the two match, which I wanted given the value of the house. The existing unit cannot cool the house below 80 when the temp gets above 100.

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

Not only do I think the pricing is absurd (even for expensive Ca), but the system quoted is way overkill.

As I understand it , generally the climate for your location is moderate especially heating. I did look at temperature monthly averages and highs using Oakland as the base.

The idea of an expensive controller may be a waste unless the controller is correct for the other system.

I can make some suggestions if you like. Lennox though one of the big three is not close to Trane or Carrier.

IMO

• PleasantonCA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Tiger, I should have been more specific about the location. I am actually in the Tri-valley, not the East Bay. The temperature is typically about 15 degrees warmer than Oakland. I am getting another quote from Trane on Tuesday for a 5 ton Trane XL20i with an XL95. It appears that the wholesale price of an XL20i is just under $3,000 and $2,900 for the furnace. Even assuming that the coil, thermostats and cleaner are another $3000, the equipment cost is under $9,000.

• mike_home
    9 years ago

Has anyone done a load calculation? Is the equipment and duct work in the attic?

Given the size of the second floor and climate, I could see the cooling load be greater than 4 tons, but I would want to see it verified with a calculation. If the duct work is in the attic then you want an evaluation for any leaks and proper sizing. I suspect this is the primary cause why your current system is not working well.

How much is the insulation in the attic? Does it have good air flow?

There is no way you need a 110K BTU furnace. I assume it is being over sized in order to match the 5 ton condenser. That is another reason why moving to a 4 ton condenser will save some money.

A general rule of thumb is the installed price is twice the equipment cost. Some money is added for difficult installations like climbing into a hot attic.

• PleasantonCA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Airflow is ok, not great. Part of the work would involve straightening some of the runs and improving the overall duct situation. I believe the attic is R38 or higher. The furnace is to match the condenser. The 2X seems like a good ballpark in terms of the numbers I am seeing. Appreciate all the feedback.

• udarrell
    9 years ago

You should try to do a load-calc yourself; this one is free.

If at all possible drop down to 4-Ton or less...

Pay attention to what has been said in the other posts!

Keep track of the runtimes ON & OFF times when its hot outside also check the temp-drop at the closest supply air register.

We can figure Sensible Btu/hr of the duty-cycle under those conditions, providing U know somewhere near the indoor airflow CFM..

Here is a link that might be useful: Free online load-calc

• PleasantonCA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The on an off times when it is hot....are on, all the time. The existing unit ran 32 hours straight the last time the temp got above 100 and the upstairs never got below 80 despite the thermostat being set to 75.

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

I have reviewed the monthly averages for Pleasanton, Ca. Keep in mind you size for average with some extra margin for the extremes but definitely not the extreme.

I checked the furnaces, SLP98v, SL280v, and EL296v and all have a 90 KBTU with 5 ton rated blower. Don't understand what your dealer is thinking.

You need a load calculation performed for both cooling and heating.

IMO