Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdelaney16_gw

Trane quote - is this a good value / system?

mdelaney16
14 years ago

I have decided on a trane system and received a quote today for the following 2 ton trane system for my upstairs attic unit for approx 1400 sq ft.

20 Seer - hybrid

Heat pump - 4tw20024A1 - XL2Gi

Coil - 4TXCB003CC3

Furnance - UD060RQV3 - 80% multistage

$6968 (includes trane rebate of $1100)

include 10 yr parts and 2 yr labor

qualifies for $1500 tax rebate

Is this a good system / deal? Is a heat pump necessary / worth the add'l investment?

Thank you for the comments.

Mark

Comments (13)

• ryanhughes
    14 years ago

Few things:

1. The furnace should be the matching communicating furnace, and I hope you get Trane's communicating thermostat to go with this system (may be required). Was this mentioned? Furnace model number TUD2B060ACV3. May or may not be intentional that they listed the standard XV80 and not the communicating XC80 -- definitely check this out.

2. The system actually is 13 EER, 18.5 SEER, 9 HSPF. 18 SEER with the XV80 for some reason (as opposed to XC80).

I personally think a hybrid system is overkill for an upstairs where heating is not a major concern or used often. Dropping the heat pump could drop the price $4-500 alone. Where do you live? Could be that heating is huge for your location.

Pricing is okay given it is for Trane's top-end equipment, which carries a higher price tag. Net would be $5468 considering the tax credit, and perhaps less if you drop the heat pump and chose the a/c, 4TTZ0024A1.

• mdelaney16
    Original Author
    14 years ago

wow, thank you - b/c most of this is greek to me.

I actually live in northern VA. He indicated the heat pump is $250 (actually $150 after the rebate is applied which gets reduced from $1100 to $1000 without it).

The rep indicated that it was a communicating furnance, but the model he gave me for the furnance was...

UD060RQV3 AFUE 80% multistage

Is that the correct communicating furnnace model to use with the previously mentioned model numbers?

Yes, he also quoted the thermostat - TCONT900 - I assume this is the communicating thermostat?

I realy appreciate your comments and recommendations as each rep I speak too has something different to say about models to match furnance, which ones qualify for the tax credit, etc.

Thank you in advance!
    Mark

• ryanhughes
    14 years ago

You're welcome. I don't believe that's the communicating model number, but at least he intended to install the communicating model. I would claer this up. For $150, I'd say go with the heat pump.

• mdelaney16
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thank you - if i understand correctly - i should ask them to replace the quoted furnance with the XC80 communicating model - specifically TUD2B060ACV3? Would you expect them to increase the quoted price or honor the same price?
    Thanks again! I will also post the competing quote tonight as well. thank you!

• ryanhughes
    14 years ago

I wouldn't expect a price increase. Seems like the sales rep planned on using the "communicating furnace" anyway. Always good to get another opinion -- post back what you hear from the second dealer.

• mdelaney16
    Original Author
    14 years ago

BTW - I just spoke with the guy and he confirmed the furnance model number that he quoted - TUDC060R9V3 - is a communicating model. He indicated the model you referred too is one too.

Does this sounds right?

• ryanhughes
    14 years ago

Doesn't sound right to me, but it seems that he plans on installing a 60k btu XC80 communicating furnace. His model number is just off. Should be TUD2B060ACV32A. Have him visit the Trane website (which I'll attach below) and see what the correct model number is. There is only one communicating 80% AFUE furnace, the XC80.

Here is a link that might be useful: XC80 - see specs...

• mdelaney16
    Original Author
    14 years ago

correction on earlier post - furnance model number in question is...

TUD060R9V3

Ryan - will you confirm this is indeed a communicating furnace (i cant find model numbers on tranes website or anywhere else).

BTW - My rep is telling me it is a communicating model as well as the one you referenced (and 60 others he said) and he is willing to write in 'all systems will be communicating series models'.

Regarding the 2nd quote, the rep is emailing me a 2nd pass at the quote(first pass did not have model numbers included and was over $1500 higher (with a non-communicating xv80 furnance quoted and no heat pump).

At this point, I am not confident it is going to be competitive and the existing company seems more knowledgable. Thank you!

• ryanhughes
    14 years ago

You're welcome. Sounds like you're dealing with a good, responsive company; however there is just confusion with the model numbers.

TUD060R9V3 - not communicating, XV80
    TUD2B060ACV3 - communicating, XC80

Seems to be some minor confusion. I would get in writing that you're getting an all-communicating system and the XC80 furnace. I think the TCONT900 even requires the communicating indoor unit (XC80) to work, so you should be set there.

Just explain to him that on the website you are seeing different model numbers. Follow the link I attached below, and click on the tab/link that says "XC80 variable-speed, 2-stage upflow/horizontal furnace models." -- It will show you the model numbers. Likewise you can see that the TUD060R9V3 is indeed just an XV80.

• mdelaney16
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for all of your help. They have updated the quote to reflect your suggested furnace at the same price point. Here is the final config...

4TWZ0024A1 - XL20i Heat Pump
    4TXCB003CC3 - Coil
    TUD2B060ACU3 - Furnace - 80% multi-stage
    TCONT900 - Thermostat

I really appreciate your input and suggestions. It has been a learning experience. Thank you - very nice of your to offer your expertise!

• tigerdunes
    14 years ago

a very nice system

what size living area?

$6968 (includes trane rebate of $1100)
    include 10 yr parts and 2 yr labor
    Trane rebate is still ongoing? I thought it had expired.

price before tax credit?

seems like a good deal. you do want a new refrigerant lineset. what about air cleaner cabinet?

IMO

• mdelaney16
    Original Author
    14 years ago

living area 1400 sq ft - the furnace is in the attic and just cools teh upstairs

my understanding the rebate expires today

yes, price before tax credit

I didnt get the air cleaner b/c it is in the attic.

btw, what is a new refrigerant lineset - not sure about that? they are going to purge/clean my old lines.

Thank you!

• amo08
    10 years ago

Hi Mark - Can you provide the name of the dealer who provided the quote. I am in VA as well and would like to get a quote from the same dealer.

AB