Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New forced air heating systems

Posted by judysgardens (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 30, 12 at 17:18

Hi, we are designing a custom home and plan to have a forced air heating system. All of our ceilings except the foyer and great room will be 9' tall. The house will primarily be a one story with 1/2 second level. The great room and foyer will be some kind of higher, possibly cathedral style. The house will be approximately 3400 sq. ft. with 2700 on the main floor.

I want to make sure we do not lose heat with the tall ceilings in the great room/foyer area which will drive up the cost of heating the house. Also, I want to be able to control the comfort level in different rooms, i.e. colder in the bedroom, warmer in the bath, and a comfortable 69 degrees in the other main areas in the house. The house is going to be an open floor plan with kitchen, great room, dining room and foyer without walls to separate.

These newer types of furnaces and vent systems with zones, dampers, thermostats in separate rooms and other types of controls claim to take care of these types of problems. I will be putting electric infloor heat in the master bath. Also, I've been told that a fan in the cathedral ceiling pushes the heat down so you don't lose heat up there. Is this really true?

Before I design my house with cathedral ceilings, I want to be sure I'm not going to be either paying a fortune for heat (which I can't afford to do), or be forced to live in a cold house because I can't afford to heat my house.

I would love to hear from you with information regarding heating systems or your personal experiences on this subject.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New forced air heating systems

I suggest two furnaces and AC condensers, one for each floor. The system for the first floor may need to be set up as 2-3 zones in order to keep the temperature consistent through the house.

The Carrier Infinity or Bryant Evolution are regarded the best for zoning. You could add some fans to high ceiling to mix the warm and cool air. You want fans which can be reversed in summer and winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here