Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tud1

American Standard

TUD1
9 years ago

Replacing failed builder grade A/C (compressor). Currently looking to replace with AS 3 ton Condenser 4A7A6036H100A with 4TXCB036BC3 coil. One AS dealer quoting $3900.00 and another $3600.00 w/ 4TXCB04 coil instead of the 4TXCB03. The second dealer stated this is the correct coil to use to get the 15 SEER.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (12)

• TUD1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Correction... re second dealer recommendation of the coil. mdl # 4TXCB004.

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

Paired with what Mdl furnace? Var speed blower or conventional blower?

Old condenser is a 3 ton?

Post back.

IMO

• TUD1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Keeping the previous gas furnace (builder grade) as there is nothing currently wrong with the unit. Quoted an additional $3k to replace furnace and was not recommended by either installer. Previous Condenser was 2.5 tons. Current blower motor is a 3 ton single speed.

TIA

This post was edited by TUD1 on Tue, Jun 3, 14 at 4:27

• TUD1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What adds insult to injury, every local installer states in will be 4-5 days before they can come to your home to give an estimate and another 3-5+ before install. So a week and a half without A/C.

• mike_home
    9 years ago

How old is the furnace? How long do you plan to live in this house? What is your location?

June is when most HVAC companies become busy and the back log builds up. It is sometimes cheaper to take preventive action and replace equipment that is at end of life. Ideally the work is planned during the slow part of the season.

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

OP should stick with Allegiance 13 SEER model with best matching AmStd coil...you can not achieve the higher SEER with the high eff model you were quoted with a conventional blower motor like you have...

Gold SI Allegiance 13 4A7A3036 3 ton

IMO

• TUD1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Furnace is 9 years old. Probably will reside in the home for another 2-5 years. Located in the Southeast.

Note, dead condenser was a 10 SEER.

Tiger, so basically I am paying for more SEER I will never see, correct? The 13 SEER model offered during in-home estimate was the Silver model. $700 less.

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

Correct...

Have to be careful with these AS model numbers since they have changed their nomenclature. The model I listed is the one I would recommend.

IMO

• bsmith
    9 years ago

"What adds insult to injury, every local installer states in will be 4-5 days before they can come to your home to give an estimate and another 3-5+ before install. So a week and a half without A/C."

The waiting list is much shorter for the bad dealers. So the good news: at least you picked a good one. :) Usually you wait longer and pay more when contracting HVAC in any months other than the off-season. Plus the quality of the install is usually better when these companies aren't busy and exposed to sweltering install heat. So try to make things as easy and accessible as possible when they do finally install. Good luck!

• TUD1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tiger, guess I am out of luck as the installer has already ordered the 15 SEER (4A7A6036H100A).

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

Don't accept it...he knows he would be pairing with the wrong furnace. You will not have a matching system. Hate to see homeowners make a mistake when they don't have to. And you can forget ever getting a 15-16 SEER rating with that matchup. Will be closer to 13 SEER.

I am through here.

IMO

• TUD1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Tiger.

From my understand nothing would match with the current furnace as it is a 10 SEER... obsolete and replacing the working furnace is not currently an option financially.