Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to use to adjust the tilt of a window a/c?

Posted by carinr (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 21, 11 at 16:39

I just had a new window air conditioner installed and realized after a couple of hours that it's not tilted correctly towards the outside - because it's spitting water into the room! I've got the installer coming back on Friday to put in a second unit, at which point I'll have him adjust it and be sure the second one is tilted properly. Before he comes I want to get whatever I need to shim the unit(s) so they tilt properly. What's the best thing to put between the windowsill and the unit to get the right degree of tilt? Thin pieces of wood? I'd like this to look as un-messy as possible, since my lovely window trim was just painted, so I wondered if there was some sort of obvious hardware-store item that would do the trick and would look better and be more stable than random scraps of splintery wood.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to use to adjust the tilt of a window a/c?

Why don't you let your installer do that ? That is what
he or she is payed for.

o

Well, I'll certainly let him do the adjusting, but I thought if I had some appropriate materials on hand, I could be sure he didn't need to make another trip.

o

We have 4 window units, 3 have shims and no 2 are the same. I just use whatever "non-splintery" wood I find in my shed. They'll be coming back out in the fall so anything I do is just temporary.

o

You can get a pack of shims for a few bucks at most any hardware store... they're just pieces of pine in a wedge shape about 12 inches long. Being as they're wood you could paint/stain them as desired to match your trim.

Good luck!
Bill D

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here