Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I use a small room air condioner

Posted by brer (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 3, 12 at 16:25

in a sliding window by taking the side wings off and somehow mounting it to some plywood.
Has anyone done this?
Any tips?
It's a high window, so I don't want it falling on anyone.
:?(

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Airconditioning/PCB's?

Hello,

Would anyone know if my old 1980 Rheem High Eff. X Classic air would have PCB's in the compressor oil?

Thanks,
Scott

o
RE: Can I use a small room air condioner

Brer,

I did that with a conventional window aircon years ago. IIRC, I used a sheet of 1/2" ply sized to essentially replace the one sliding half of the window. I framed in the aircon unit at the bottom of the whole mess with 2x4 lumber, straddling the window frame so the aircon's weight rested (through the lumber) on the brick the window was set in.

Big downside was that it was really ugly, and obscured half the light and view from the window. Probably not too secure against burglars, either. But it kept me cool in a hot Virginia summer.

Don't forget that most window units need to be pitched down a bit at the back for condensation drainage, and build accordingly.

o

I can buy a new one for $350. But I'm a little leery of it. There must be some reason they don't make very many of them. There are a lot of sliding windows. Is it because it's dangerous--maybe more easy for the unit to fall out?
I'm just a little nervous about putting anything out a sliding window now.
I'm thinking that the window frame sliding down on the AC would hold it in place better than the sliding door would.
? ??

o

They make universal brackets for helping distribute weight on window ac's. They mount to the outside wall and fairly easy to install. Then you won't have the worry of it falling.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here