Cowboy911
12 years ago

Installed a new system a few months back:

XC95m gas furnance

XR15 A/C

Matching Trane Comfort Coil

Trane CleanEffects

Honeywell Hunidifier

3,000 sqr ft , two story home in Norther Ohio.

They did not recommend(I didn't ask) about a new thermastat. I have a Honeywell RTH7600D. My concerns are this:

* Dehumidification - the humidity control is a disappointment. Humidty in the house does not go lower than 60 on humid days. It can be as high as 70 and I am running a dehumidifier in my basement. I would like to get the humdity levels to around 55 - 50. I figure the A/C needs to run at a lower fan speed, but was expecting the ComfortR feature in the Airhandler to help with this, but it does not seem activated. The A/C comes on full speed.

I could either have the cooling fan speed set lower so it takes longer to cool, thus more demidification. But that seems like I would pay the price when humdity is not so high outside by limiting the full capabilities of the equipment. From what I've read the ComfortR will not address such large humidity gap, is that correct?

The only solution that seems correct to me would be to upgrade the thermastat that will communicate with the airhandler and adjust colling fan speed based on humidity readings and desired target. Is this a correct assumption?

If so, what is the right thermstate to go with? I've read differring opinions concerning getting a Trane XL900 or a Honeywell Pro IAQ. What would you recommend? What additional benefits would going with a better thremastat provide? Looking for opinions/insights before taking the next step.

Comments (7)

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

cowboy
    first of all, from your post it sounds that Comfort r was never set up correctly.

Honeywell makes Trane stats including the XL900 which is a proprietary mdl for Trane. Both stats have DOD feature-"dehumidify on demand".

Either of these stats XL900 and HW VP IAQ will work. You will get full functionality of your XC95m modulating furnace with the XL900 in 1% increments between 40%-100% output. With the HW VP IAQ, only in 3% increments.

I don't really think that's a big deal and would weigh the cost difference between the two stats. However, if money/budget is not an issue, then go with the XL900.

I have to say your installing dealer did you no favor by failing to install one or the other. He deserves a tongue lashing at the very least.

IMO

• User
    12 years ago

3 years ago, we installed two new trane units....put cleaneffects on both.....we have been very disappointed in that we cannot tell any difference (before/after) these went in.....and they cost about $ 1,000 each.

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

I fail to understand what the post by Tucker has to do with the original poster. Absolutely nothing.

IMO

• User
    12 years ago

This is Tucker, and my comment refers to the original post, LINE FOUR, wherein Cowboy911 states that they also had cleaneffects installed (as did I).

Don't worry, I won't bother you with another posting to this site!

Ralph Tucker

• neohioheatpump
    12 years ago

is your A/C removing humidity at all? Its possible the blower is blowing too fast - therefore not de-humidifying properly. I would call your installer.

• mike_home
    12 years ago

Is you thermostat set to run on auto or you running the fan all the time?

How big is your condenser? Is the AC short cycling?

Are you sure the humidifer is off?

• veesubotee
    12 years ago

Just an FYI:

Tiger said: "Either of these stats XL900 and HW VP IAQ will work. You will get full functionality of your XC95m modulating furnace with the XL900 in 1% increments between 40%-100% output. With the HW VP IAQ, only in 3% increments.

I don't really think that's a big deal and would weigh the cost difference between the two stats. However, if money/budget is not an issue, then go with the XL900."

It absolutely isn't a big deal. I have a Rheem modulating furnace which increments in 5% levels. The comfort is yummy, so you sholdn't be concerned in about levels in choosing your stat.

V