Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Honeywell FC40R filters - help?

Posted by cebury (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 23, 12 at 15:51

I've read the various posts on using the 4" MERV8 (or less) filters. I'm about to purchase them, but I have the cabinet that accepts 1" filters, but it does the metal tabs that can be bent/removed and hold a 4" filter.

However, Honeywell directions shows needing "7 inches total for a 4" filter". How important is having the extra 3 inches of space above the filter?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Honeywell FC40R filters - help?

It's hard to say how critial the space is above the filter. You may get a whistling sound as the air tries to rush through the constricted opening.

Have you considered using a 2 inch filter?

o

If whistling sound is the only downside (ie. not an extreme difference in strain on the blower) then I'll just order one of each size and see what works best. I assume the 2" will just need replacement more often.

Thanks

o

UPDATE: I found another site explaining in more detail why I should avoid the 4/5" filter if I don't have the required 7" total space above the grill (really = 2 5/8" minimum above the filter before the flex duct starts).
http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=964082

The OP there has *exactly* my scenario with same filter box measurements and space available.

I guess I'll go with the 2" for now: I should've had them enlarge that box when I had them change out the ducting.

I was originally recommended to use the Honeywell F40CR 4" filters by ZippyHvac in the thread here . There appears widespread acceptance that these 4/5" filters are excellent, better than the 1" Filtretes, at least for their primary purpose: protection of the unit's coils, as they can collect a lot more particles w/out requiring often change-outs and do so with less increase of static pressure.

o

The 3M filtrete filters do a good job of filtering but are very restrictive. You are better off with a cheaper filter.

The 2 inch filter is still am improvement over the 1 inch. Even a good 1 inch filter is OK if you check and replace it on a regular basis.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here