Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cateyanne

air conditioner installation in an escape window

cateyanne
10 years ago

Need to install a window air conditioner in an attic bedroom window. There are two windows at opposite ends of the house, but the one window is directly next to stairs so would be fruitless putting the a/c there. Cool air would just travel down the stairs and not reach the other side of the room, which is where the actual bed is. Problem is I want to make SURE this other window is not "locked out" due to air conditioner in case of a fire. I would really feel better if there were two exit points in case one is blocked and I can't see anyone being able to quickly remove an air conditioner, screws and all during a fire. So... I'm wondering if anyone has any bright ideas on how to correctly install the air conditioner but still allow quick and easy removal in case of fire. Btw we already tried a portable unit figuring that would be the answer but it is not adequate to cool this area.

Comments (16)

• mike_home
    10 years ago

If this is a double hung window, then you could install it at the top of the window instead of the bottom. You would have to build a shelf for the AC to sit on securely. The top sash could then be pushed up to seal the bottom of the unit. This would leave to the bottom sash to slide up and down to the height of the AC. The window would have to be tall enough to allow it to open for someone to climb through it.

Another idea is to install the AC as you would normally and use thumb screws instead of regular screws. With thumbs screws you won't need to go look for a screwdriver in the event of a fire. I suggest installing the unit a smooth surface like melamine board so that the unit can be easily pushed out the window in case the person is not strong to pick it up.

The best way in my opinion is to make a cut out in the exterior wall. This ensures the window is available for escape.

• cateyanne
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It is a double hung window, but I'm not following. "top sash pushed up to seal the bottom of the unit." Sorry, I'm having trouble picturing that. The way my windows are made the top either slides down or the bottom slides up. Either way, only the top or the bottom will be open to allow for the air conditioner.
    I like the idea of thumb screws instead of regular. Or what about installing some sort of window lock? Like something you would normally see on a window to lock the two sashes? One part of it could be installed on the top sash where it meets the unit, the other part could be installed on the unit itself? Then it would be as simple as opening a window, to release the unit.

• fsq4cw
    10 years ago

I would suggest abandoning the window air-conditioner and installing a mini-split.
    If you think that may be too expensive, whatâÂÂs your life or the life of a family member worth?

SR

• mike_home
    10 years ago

You would pull down the top sash and install the unit above it. The shelf would be positioned so that the unit would the top of the window and the shelf. The top sash would be pushed up to make a seal. This won't work if the window is small.

Does your budget allow for a mini-split?

• cateyanne
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Didn't know about a mini split, will check that out.

• edwardo
    10 years ago

When I was a kid, my dad put in a through-the-wall AC unit similar to how this article shows:

http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/finishcarp/misc/ac_thru_wall/trim_around_wall_opening.htm

This solves the egress problem and is probably quite a bit cheaper than a mini-split.

• ionized_gw
    10 years ago

Cheaper than a mini split if you DIY or if you hire someone to make the sleeve in your wall?

• edwardo
    10 years ago

My guess would be that it would be less expensive, even if one has to hire out the building of the sleeve through the wall. One assumption is there is a sufficient electrical outlet nearby (as there probably is in the case of the OP as she was going to put in a window unit anyway).

Either way, it doesn't hurt to get an estimate.

• andrelaplume2
    10 years ago

don't they stand alone indoor units...look like a dehumidifier but are AC...they need not be in a wall or window..might want to look into that...saw them at HD...not sure how they drain...

• SaltiDawg
    10 years ago

"don't they stand alone indoor units...look like a dehumidifier but are AC...they need not be in a wall or window..might want to look into that...saw them at HD...not sure how they drain..."

Any A/C unit must have a method to exhaust heat out of the space they are cooling.

• cateyanne
    Original Author
    10 years ago

As stated in my post, we already tried the portable unit, but they are not as efficient at cooling as a window unit. It just didn't cool the attic space well enough. They are vented out the window but much easier to remove quickly, that's why we tried that first.
    I was not interested in installing a wall unit as my house is brick and in the future we will be installing central air, so cutting a hole into the brick and then later having to patch it would not be acceptable. We were able to solve the problem though. We installed a window unit by using window locks on either side above the top sash, the kind used to prevent a thief from entering or a child from falling out ( this locks the sash in place substituting the screws that you would normally install through the air conditioners top bracket and the top window sash. we also installed "L" brackets on either side of the unit. there were already screws as a part of the units construction on the side walls of the a/c. We simply unscrewed them and placed the "L" brackets on the sides, with the right angles facing opposite directions. these face into the room and like a couple of small arms, essentially hold the unit into the window frame and are a simple way to prevent the unit from falling out should the window locks fail. All anyone has to do is flip the locks and pull the a/c unit into the room to clear the window space. I feel safe knowing clearing the window is easily accomplished in case of an emergency. Thanks for all your suggestions.

• andrelaplume2
    10 years ago

well, sorry I mised your post about the portable unit. I actually thought of you when I looked a little more closely at one recently. I indeed saw the plastic exhaust that you would connect to the window. Why it would not do as good a job cooling, I have no idea. Seems like a good idea. Perhaps the unity was not big enough for the room? Maybe try another...can always return it...

(also wonder where the condensation goes)

• ionized_gw
    10 years ago

"we already tried the portable unit, but they are not as efficient at cooling as a window unit. It just didn't cool the attic space well enough. "

Single-hose portables are extremely inefficient because they suck conditioned air out of the house to cool the condenser. Two-hose models bring outside air around the condenser and then exhaust it.

Condensation goes out with the air, but if overloaded with humidity, into a tank that you need to empty or tie to a drain.

• cateyanne
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ours was a single hose type, I never saw the two-hose models. That may have done a better job. the one we had needed to be emptied periodically of the water through a tube in the back, not a big deal. just didn't cool the attic space well enough. But we have solved the issue just by going up and down the aisles in hardware sections of stores looking for alternative fasteners to screws that would ensure quick and easy removal. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

• ionized_gw
    10 years ago

A two-hose type WOULD do a better job. There is no question about that. One-hose models are only good if you need a lot of air turn-over from outside.

Did you design the window installation to be simply pushed out easily? That would seem to be safest.

• cateyanne
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Our installation, because of the "L" brackets could be pulled in by the occupant or pushed in by an outside person. The window locks are easily opened by the occupant, but like any window lock, an outside person would smash the window to be able to reach in and open the locks. We were just looking for a way to avoid having no access by having the window essentially "locked" in place by screws (in the typical A/C installation) Just as a side, since ALL windows are essentially escape routes, it would be great if A/C manufacturers would include a hardware kit that would make the window still accessible in case of fire, etc. Or at least market a separate hardware kit that could be purchased. I think if people were given an option, some might choose that.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH