Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
austinhome04

Help with correct thermostat combo for new Trane system

austinhome04
10 years ago

I've just had a new Trane AC and Furnace combo installed and I've been struggling with my contractor to install the correct thermostat properly. I could really use another opinion:

I have a 2-ton XR16 (4TTR6024A1000A, coil 4TXCB025BC3HCB) and a XV80 (TUD2B060A9V3VB). Total SEER of 16.0 was quoted to me.

I've asked my contractor to install my 2nd generation Nest Thermostat that controls 2-stage heat and cooling, but he seems totally baffled. Thus, he's telling me that the Trane TCONT803 is the only one that will work. He temporarily installed it, but it seems to overcool (turns cooling on at 3 degrees BELOW the set point) and not respond to humidity settings. Now he's telling me it's my problem to solve since his equipment is "functioning.". But I'm holding back payment for now.

Anyone have experience with this set up? Would love to get the Nest to work as I had it on my old system. But more than anything, I want to maximize the functionality of the system I just installed. Would hate to cripple it. What's the ideal stat/set up?

Thanks so much for any thoughts.

Comments (4)