Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
baileyq

Trane vs Trane? I'm confused

baileyq
10 years ago

I live near Tampa, FL so AC is crucial. Have had several companies give estimates. I'm focusing on these 2, although I've had an estimate for Rheem (no pt.#s) and Carrier Infinity.

1.Trane XB13 Hyperion w/ 4TWB3030
orTrane XR 13 4TWR3030C w/TAM7A0B30H21SB
or Trane XB14 4TWB4030G w/ GAM5A0B36M31SA

2.Trane 4TWB4030 w/ 4FWHF3030

I've looked up the Trane Hyperion which the 2nd salesguy said had a lot of problems, but the 1st guy said was the only way to go. The air handler would be in my attic. One said I didn't need the variable speed air handler because the unit outside would not be staged. I can't tell the difference between the XB14, the XR13, or the XB13 because the air handlers are different. Can they be mixed and matched? I'm overwhelmed w/part numbers to have any of it make sense.

These are for 2.5 ton for 1100 sq.ft villa end unit with vaulted ceiling (over 12'). One side is shared.

Thanks for all your help.

Comments (6)

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

What is location?

• baileyq
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The air handler would be in the attic and the condenser (?) outside. It's a one-story villa near Tampa, so having great AC is important. I am not seasonal. One of the Trane estimates offers a 10 yr/parts AND labor (more expensive), but the other said that the main manufacturers were all going to a more expensive extended plan--like $1500 on labor, so then I wonder if the 1st guy is not telling the whole truth. Or maybe the other guy isn't! Oh, are you asking if I am close to the water? No, but not too far from I-75. Thanks.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

These appear to be heat pump condensers.

If you want the best dehumidification in AC cooling. Then I would want the Tam7 var speed air handler. If not that, then the Gam5 high eff air hander but not var speed.

The condensers are similar all carrying the 10-10-10 warranty, compressor, coil, and parts. The XR series is quieter than the XB series.

I would lean to the XR13.

5270058 Active Systems XR13 WEATHERTRON TRANE 4TWR3030C1 *AM7A0B30H21 31400 12.50 15.00 29000 9.00 16500 1 HRCU-A-CB 253 646 Yes

According to AHRI Directory, the above system qualifies for small Fed Tax Credit. I would recommend the HW Mdl #8321 thermostat. I assume a small heat strip for your location, probably 5-7 KW size.

Lineset to flushed or replaced. It's important that it is to mfg spec as far as size.

Ext warranty for labor is usually up to 10% of purchase price, no more.

IMO

• baileyq
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Tigerdunes.

Does the Hyperion or not-Hyperion make a difference in a hot attic? Humidity is a concern, and I did see some problems with the Hyperion in its early days as I researched.

But the non-Hyperion Trane quote was significantly less.

Thanks again.

• ryanhughes
    10 years ago

Absolutely the Hyperion, especially in a hot attic. The Hyperion is positive pressure by design, which means no sucking in hot attic air unlike other air handlers. It is important that your ducts are sealed and insulated well, if this hasn't been addressed already. The variable speed TAM7 is the way to go whether you choose the XB14 or XR13. Other nice features of the TAM7 are the all aluminum coil for better reliability and electronic expansion valve for better efficiency and performance out of your system.

This post was edited by ryanhughes on Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 12:37

• baileyq
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much. All your advice and information help very much.