Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ducts in Ceiling for Heat?

Posted by ojs2005 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 17, 09 at 15:04

I'm getting conflicting advice - some people say that ducts for heat should be placed low as heat rises. Another person insists that it's best to have ceiling ducts because the air is blowing down.

It's of course easier to put in ceiling ducts on the 2nd and 3rd floor of my house -- but should i insist/pay extra to have extra ducts put low for heat, or is it okay to have both a/c and heat with ceiling ducts for upper floors (the first floor will have floor registers only).

thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ducts in Ceiling for Heat?

Ideally, heat would come from below and A/C would come from above. As a practical matter, you are just going to have 1 set of vents for both, so you have to pick. If you live in a climate where cooling is the primary concern, I'd stick with the ceiling vents. If you live in a cooler climate, you would need to weigh the costs vs benefits of floor registers.

o

I agree with the above advice. Most of the registers in my house are on the floor, and I've had no comfort issues as a result of that to speak of. But if you think of commercial applications--restaurants, buildings, etc.--they are all on the ceiling, and I don't ever feel any noticeable difference with regards to heating with them being in the ceiling. So whichever option you go with, if done right I don't think there would be any substantial issues to worry about.

o

With regards to supply and return air you want the return air registers to be opposite the supply. In other words if the supply ducts are in the ceiling you want the return ducts in the floor and vice versa. Also the supplies should blanket the outer perimeters of the space and the returns on the inner sides if the rooms. It makes for a better air flow.

o

thank you

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here