Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dianashan_gw

Help! Vermont remodeling heating and cooling Q's

DianaShan
9 years ago

We are getting ready to remodel our 1860's Vermont farmhouse which consists mostly of 2x4 construction.. We will be gutting the interior and adding spray foam insulation and using double pane windows.
My questions are- what r factor do you recc on insulation and what heating and cooling system would you use?
Right now we have a mix of propane heat via ductwork-- with a ductless heater for one large family room.-- We will not live there full time, mainly in summer months and we want a separate heating system for the 2nd floor which won't be used except when kids/family come to visit. House is about 2200 sq feet.
Gas is not an option.
Would you use baseboard elec. on 2nd floor
or a ductless system, and which one? does a ductless system both heat and cool adequately?
how would you heat/cool the first floor? and if we were to consider radiant heat for a new mudroom...what kind of square footage is needed to make it cost effective? and i assume you also need to dig out a basement.
I know it's a lot...thanks for your help. I have been an internet junkie on the HVAC issue...and am overwhelmed...
keep in mind...it's gets super cold in VT and house has to be at 45-55 degrees even when we aren't there... . .

Comments (2)