Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garage heating capacity

Posted by memarcus (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 16, 11 at 14:31

Looking to add a heater to my 2 car garage. It is well insulated and has an insulated door, 1 east facing man door and 2 3x5 south facing windows (southern indiana). It's right at 600 SF with about 10.5' ceilings.

Is a 30K BTU wall heater with blower such as a Procom MD300TBA sufficient for this or should I go with a ceiling mounted 75K BTU heater? The wall heater is significantly cheaper and would be much simpler to mount and run gas too since the gas line is stubbed out of the wall.

I've seen that 35 or 40 BTU/SF is a sort of rule of thumb but I'm not sure how to do the manual J calc and also wasn't sure how the higher ceilings would play into that.

Any recommendations? I'm not looking to keep it 90+ just around 60-65 when I'm working on something. will the 30K heater take an inordinately long time to heat?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garage heating capacity

The idea of having a gas heater in a closed garage makes me nervous.

o
RE: Garage heating capacity

For fire safety reasons, you can only install temporary electric heaters in an attached garage. If the garage has a workshop portion and is detached, you may be able to install the heaters you are talking about. Call your local codes office for clarification. You'll need to pull a permit with them anyway if the project is allowed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here