Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mugnaini_gw

Quote on New Carrier

mugnaini
11 years ago

Hello,

I have a 100K BTU Trane furnace paired with 3.5 ton AC that are approximately 21 years old and still work reasonably well.

Our Northern Virginia Carrier dealer is offering a "special" (buy a furnace...get a free AC) and the technician just left my home. He quoted on a 24ACC642 Model AC, 3.5 ton, with efficiency up to 16BTU, and a 58MEC080, 80K BTU furnace with 90+ efficiency. All in price is $5,454. I was told that the above equipment is the "better" (one notch above "good") option, with the Infinity being the "best" option, but at an incremental cost of $3,700. My home is approx. 2,400 square feet, two story home, plus about 800 square feet for the basement. Excellent construction, with good insulation, and newer Gorell windows. Your opinion would be appreciated.

Comments (7)

• mike_home
    11 years ago

The models you listed are part of the Carrier Performance line. It is good equipment, but not it is not variable speed.

The price you were quoted is reasonable. However you are not getting the AC for "free". I get suspicious when dealers make these type of claims. I hope he is not cutting corners.

Will the lineset be changed? What thermostat will be provided? What type of filter? What is the labor warranty? Is this Carrier Factory Authorized dealer?

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

Nothing is free including HVAC.

This is nothing but a teaser and be careful of bait and switch tactics.

Get other quotes!

IMO

• mugnaini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you. The dealer is located in Alexandria, VA, has been in business since 1967 and has the "Presidential" status accorded by CARRIER, along with a bunch of other certifications. I went on the CARRIER website and could not find the equipment quoted (24ACC642 Air Conditioner and 58MEC080 furnace), so I am not sure whether this is "NEW" equipment, last year's (or older) models, etc., or whether that would,or should make a difference. Bottom line, I am going to sell the house in three years and could just make do with my existing equipment, but I believe that having a newer system would make a big difference to someone that considers spending $700K on my house, especially given that my existing TRANE equipment -- while working fine-- will be 25 years by then. Thoughts?

• mike_home
    11 years ago

The Performance Boost 90 (58MEC)furnace and Performane AC condenser (24ACC6) are both listed on the Carrier web site.

This sounds like a legitamate HVAC dealer. He may be offering a scratch and dent model. There is nothing wrong with these as long as the defects are cosmetic. I think there may be some hidden costs added to the price. Get a detailed quote of what is included.

Your equipment has reached end of life. It is a good idea to replace it now while you have the time to shop around.

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

For the previous post by mike

My information shows this AC condenser is the Comfort 16 series mdl not Performance series.

And for OP, I would want a 95% eff two stg var speed furnace at the very minimum.

IMO

• mike_home
    11 years ago

The product data sheet I found shows the 24ACC6 as a Performance model. However it seems Carrier is renaming the Comfort and Performance line up, so I am never really sure.

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

Yep Carrier trying to confuse everyone again just when you get used to the models and mdl numbers.

How typical!

IMO

Sponsored
WellCraft Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars61 Reviews
Virginia’s Full Service Design-Build Remodeling Company