Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
13 seer or 14 seer?

Posted by newchapter (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 24, 08 at 13:46

I am completely confused - I have a 2000 Sq ft split level house. It currently has a 3 ton 13 seer condensor but it has a leak.
We have been given quotes for 3 ton 13 seer replacements.
1. Does it need to be 14 seer to be energy star?
2. Should we stick with 13 SEER or 14.

Please help!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 13 seer or 14 seer?

At this size level, the difference between 13 and 14 SEER is about 100 watts of power consumption. That's not a "throw away" issue, but it's close. If you run your system 1,000 hours a year, that's 100 kilowatt-hours of annual savings (about $10 a year of power savings at average rates) for the 14 SEER over the 13 SEER.

So, I think you need to factor in some other issues in making that decision, as the choice of 13 or 14 SEER is not in itself significant enough to make your decision.

o

Everything has to match the 14-SEER. I like the 14-SEER if it has the Copeland Scroll compressor & a TXV on the Evaporator.

The evaporator will do better in milder weather if it has a TXV metering device.

Add an adjustable differential room thermostat & the SEER can go up. Longer run-cycles are far more efficient than short run-cycles!

Do some research & make your own decision.

The quality of the installation, ductwork system & PROPER airflow are the FIRST essential, & are (IMO) more important than ultra high SEER equipment.
- udarrell

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.udarrell.com/airconditioning-sizing.html

o

Yea, probably not much diff in operating costs. Some utilities might have a rebate for 14.

Be sure you are getting it though. Some 14 SEER units can't get 14 without that brand's matching variable speed blower inside. Some can't even with a variable speed blower!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here