Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Radiant heat with a redundant furnace

Posted by shmeal (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 3, 12 at 13:42

DH & I are building a new house, a rambler with a walk-out basement, in northern Utah. Cold winters, hot summers. We are installing radiant heat in the basement slab and dry radiant in the joists below the main floor. We are going to have a/c run in the attic for the main floor only. No a/c in the basement.

Our builder talked us into installing a furnace/air exchanger because he said it doesn't add much to the cost of the system and it's nice to have a back-up in case something goes wrong with the boiler. He is building a sealed room above the garage for this unit.

DH feels we should be getting some kind of credit back since we aren't running the duct work to the basement. I think there won't be a difference in the cost because the ducts that would be run in the floor joists to heat the basement and the main floor have been moved to the attic. The little money we would save by not needing vents in the basement ceilings is more than offset by the need to insulate the ducts since they will be in the attic.

He wants to go to the builder and "hash this out". I don't want to turn this into a game of who's right, but I also don't want to waste our time or our builder's time in a meeting where there is nothing to resolve. Should we be looking for a credit here?

I do question whether the redundant furnace is a waste of our money. DH on the other hand quite likes the idea of the back-up heat (he's a computer guy and lives for back-ups).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Radiant heat with a redundant furnace

You will need an air handler (blower fan) and cooling coil for your AC.
It is not much different in cost to add the furnace vs just the blower. I think it is a good idea as you have laid out.
As I understand what is proposed....Since your AC isn't ducted to the basement, I am assuming that this heat won't be either. So no difference in ductwork, so nothing to credit.

o

You will need an air handler (blower fan) and cooling coil for your AC.
It is not much different in cost to add the furnace vs just the blower. I think it is a good idea as you have laid out.
As I understand what is proposed....Since your AC isn't ducted to the basement, I am assuming that this heat won't be either. So no difference in ductwork, so nothing to credit.

o

Thank you. It's nice to hear a second opinion on both questions. DH gets a win (redundant furnace is good) and I get a win (no credit on the hvac installation) so we are both happy. I appreciate you taking the time to answer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here