Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdreber

AC output temperature

mreber
9 years ago

Anyone know what the general temperature of the air coming out of your vent should be? I measured mine at 65. Internal house temperature is about 75. It's only about 78 outside right now.

My system is old (13 - 14 years). I had it recharged two years ago. Wondering if it's time to have more refrigerant added?

As we hope to move in the next two years, won't be putting the investment in for a new system!

Comments (8)

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

Low 60s at most. But also pay attn to Delta T. Which should be in 15-20 degree range.

Recharging usually indicates a leak. Sounds like you rec'd a gas n go which is so unprofessional. Leak should be located usually using dye. Then determine if leak can be repaired.

IMO

• mreber
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Delta T between vent output and internal house temperature? I'm assuming outside temperature has an effect too. The condenser won't be able to transfer heat to the outside air as efficiently on a really hot day, right?

Pretty sure the company wanted to do a leak test, but told them not to do it. Just wanted the refrigerant recharge.

• mike_home
    9 years ago

How much is it costing you to add refrigerant every season? Be aware your system uses R22 refrigerant. This is being phased out and is going up in price each year.

• mreber
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No, sorry, not using R22. It's R410A.

Let's do some simple math. Recharge my system for about $200 every other year, or possibly invest in a new central AC system for $4000 - $5000. I think I'll go with recharging my system!

• SaltiDawg
    9 years ago

Home owner here. Your system is old (13-14 years) and it has R-410A?

• mreber
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok. I don't know the exact age of the system. Moved in 3 years ago. It was a foreclosure, so I have little knowledge of what the previous owner did to the house. I know a lot of work was done on the house in 2000. Some of the forced air vents in the basement have install stickers showing the year 2000. I'm making an educated guess the AC was installed the same time.

The sticker on the side of the AC condenser that says R-410A is kind of a dead giveaway.

• mreber
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Look guys, I really don't want to get into a debate on what type of refrigerant my system uses. Just wanted to see what the output temperature of a good AC system should be! If it's not related to that, don't bother posting. Thanks .

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

The point about the leak is that recharging an R-22 system will be more expensive than an R-410 system.

If you have a leak, it should be found and repaired. If not repaired, your problems will just be ongoing. If not repairable, a new system should be considered.

I am done with this thread.

IMO