Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdmtnwmn

Central vs. ductless?

mdmtnwmn
12 years ago

Non-techie here, so please excuse these basic questions. I just seem to need a little more info than I have to get traction on research.

We're planning a 2500-2800 sq.ft 2 story home w/walk up attic in southern NH. It should be a 20-year home, maybe longer as a three-season home in the future. We'd like to make it as efficient as possible within our budget. It will most likely be SIPs construction, energy efficient windows, etc., in short, pretty tight. The immediate building lot is completely clear but sided on the west by a hill that does throw shade in the afternoon.

So, we are thinking about heat pumps that operate in low temps. Hallowell is discredited and out of business. From what I gather, Mitsubishi and Fujitsu make some. Some are ducted, some are not. And that is the point of my question today.

What are the essential differences between a system based on something like the Mitsubishi Zuba Central vs. Mitsubishi's Mr. Slim ductless systems? Is one more efficient than the other? Is there any advantage to having your home riddled with ductwork? I have read that the Mr. Slim is a "mini split"--what does that actually mean?

At this point, I am not savvy enough to understand a full discussion of SEER and COPs, etc., but hope to be as I go along. Any guidance in fairly plain English would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (4)