Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shopping for a portable air conditioner

Posted by criticalmass (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 24, 12 at 12:55

I'm not sure if a portable unit is right for us. Do they all need an exhaust hose like a dryer, do they have pans that need to be emptied, and if so, how often? How about the electrical draw? Should they be on their own circuit? Are they noisy compared to wall or window units?

Thanks for the info.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shopping for a portable air conditioner

A certain hotel in L.A. has these portable units. Really the only thing portable about it is it has wheels. Yes they do need to vent to the outside or the thing would be a room heater. They have a drip pan for condensation and when it fills up the compressor ie air conditioner stops working. Daily removal unless routed to a drain line. This was an older hotel with low A/C requirements. They would up placing the units on a 14" high box to allow for drainage of condensate through wall via exhaust hose.

o

If this is to have much use at all, get a model with two hoses. The models with one hose are very inefficient as they suck air out of the room to cool the condenser rather then circulate outdoor air to do that.

o

I had a single tube and I am glad I got a deal on it because it was good for nothing but sitting in front of. I purchased it thinking I would make a portable garage cooler but all it did was heat it and cool the person sitting in front of it. I used a two hose
that actually cooled the whole garage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here