Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wardman_gw

Thanks - went Carrier

wardman
10 years ago

Thanks for all who responded to me. I ended up going with the Carrier Infinity 59MN7 80,000 BTU on first and 60,000 BTU on second floor. They will each have Carrier 4 inch filters and AprilAire 700 humidifiers.

AC I went with the Infinity 17 24ANB7 3 ton units for each floor.

Infinity wifi controller as well. Net 14k for upgrades over basic systems, but hey, it's only money.... :-)

Wardman

Comments (9)

• mike_home
    10 years ago

wardman wrote:

"Hello - I am buying a new Toll home. A Comfort series 60000 BTU first floor with 3ton AC and 40,000 BTU with 2.5ton AC for second floor come standard. This is with 2 Honeywell 5 day programmable thermos (was told 92% AFYE and 13 SEER)

To upgrade to Carrier Infinity High Efficiency I am being told it is 7K for each floor (60,000BTU and 3 ton AC) or $14,000 total. (These are the 98% AFUE and 17 SEER systems) with Infinity controls"

Did they explain why sizes are increased when you upgrade from the Comfort to Infinity series? Does the builder think you are paying for an upgrade so you are entitled to bigger equipment?

The Infinity is very nice equipment. If the duct work is sized correctly you should be very pleased.

Best of luck with your new house.

• wardman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes - I questioned the standard equipment and they came back and said the equipment was undersized. So they did upgrade standard to the bigger furnace and A/C.

Then we started from there.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Grossly oversized especially on heating...

• wardman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mike - Toll revised the requirements on the standard equipment to accomodate for the 3000 sq/ft on each floor. The outside HVAC people that reviewed the Manual J, and had installed in my model in the past, agreed it was the correct sizing. Sorry Tiger - I had to go with what the relative experts agreed was right in this circumstance. The first floor unit will also be used to heat the basement as that gets finished for another 1000sq/ft.

The water heated - I went to 80 gal to support lots of hot water and above average temperatures. IMO - I can always cool it off, but not heat it up.

I also run my house in cool at about 70 degrees.

Thanks all for the help, shout out to Mike for chiming in too!

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Just so you know, basements at or partially below grade have small heating and cooling loads. Stand by my statement based on your load calc in other thread. Don't understand it. You definitely don't need an 80 K furnace for main floor and basement.

IMO

• wardman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tiger - totally agree on the basements and understand that point. Went with what I have/had to go with and think I'm good.

Thanks!

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Too bad...

That's 140 KBTUs at 95%+ efficiency for 3200 sq ft in SE Pa...

New construction....

Go figure...

This post was edited by tigerdunes on Sat, Jun 15, 13 at 20:42

• wardman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks!!

This post was edited by wardman on Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 11:45