Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jhzr2

Friedrich Kuhl Units

JHZR2
11 years ago

I have historically bought Friedrich A/C units (window) because they are US made. As it turns out, all Friedrich manufacturing has moved to China/Mexico, which is very disappointing. Yet I still have to believe that they make the best units out there. Does anyone disagree or have info to the contrary?

Our home has a 2 ton wall unit in the downstairs (Maytag D-series chassis, from 2001 or so). It does a good job of cooling most of the downstairs floorplan, since it is pretty wide open. I didnt install it, and am pretty confident it is oversized.

Right size or not, my biggest issue is that it is loud. As we have radiant heating with a mod/con boiler that is 96%+, so Im not really interested in central.

The Kuhl units are claimed to be much quieter. But I have not had any chance to compare side to side. They arent really available to have a look at or mess with, and Friedrich doesnt provide any sort of relative dB rating. I know that our X-star US made window unit is REALLY quiet.

So, can anyone comment on how quiet the Kuhl units are? Do they really do a substantially better job of isolating noise and vibration than other units (I realize that much of this has to do with quality of installation, but there is an aspect of system construction that effects it).

Any practical experience? Some neighbors installed a Chinese Frigidaire and found it no quieter than the 20 year old unit it replaced. I wont sink money in if that's the case. Ill re-side the home and figure out how to fit a split in the hole.

Any info on Kuhl? Thanks very much!

Comments (6)

• brice1
    11 years ago

No first hand experience with Kuhl but from looking at cutaways, I see an old fashion window unit paired with an attractive faceplate and updated electronics. There is really nothing innovative with regards to noise control. So they use thin metal instead of styrofoam to isolate the compressor...big deal. It is still going to cycle on with a kick and generate about 50db of noise indoors.

• JHZR2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well they make a LOT of claims about noise isolation. And I know that our 5400btu X-star is far quieter than the 2 ton Maytag, of course that is likely because of the obvious equipment sizing differences...

50dB indoors to me seems awful quiet compared to what I think the Maytag unit makes...

• heatseeker
    11 years ago

Most manufacturers are in other country's now. Mexico's quality has improved over the last decade in my opinion. China has a long way to go still. Mexican's are hard workers generally. American car company's went to Canada years ago with no complaints so it is all part of the way things are done know.
    Take a look at Goodman which is made in Texas and compare that brand with any other that is made in Mexico, they are about the same.

• brice1
    11 years ago

The improved noise isolation they're claiming is a throwback to the way window units were made 25 years ago. Large heavy cabinet, bigger air passage, steel inner wall, thicker rubber grommets. What is needed is a radical redesign of the compressor because the ones now being installed in Friedrich AC's are loud and prone to vibrate

• JHZR2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So can we assume that there is noise benefit over a unit from 10 years ago from maytag, especially I'd the rating is slightly lower?

Whether Mexican or Chinese stuff is as good in terms of quality, it's lost American jobs for stuff that we certainly can acquire and build without major issues. My friedrich X-star was US made as we're the models before it.

• scott_condor
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I'm fairly sure JHZR2 has solved and settled his issues by now and it would be interesting to learn his solution. I live in SW Texas and recently converted from a fairly efficient and quiet Lennox central heat pump system to two Kuhl "through the wall" systems for my downstairs, simply because the cost of replacing the Lennox involved a high installation cost. I no longer use my upstairs and two of the downstairs rooms are seldom used, so the main part of the "in service" area downstairs is a fairly straight shot through a very large bedroom, double door to the kitchen/dining and then double door to the living room. There are peripheral rooms of course, but those three are the main areas affected by the Friedrich Kuhls.

I also considered putting in split mini units in three places downstairs, primarily wanting quiet operation, but my quotes were astronomical... far more than replacing the central system, so the idea was to get two very efficient and powerful units, one at each end of those three areas and then add low priced smaller units in the other areas of dressing/bathroom, office and guest room. I got the Kuhls last September, so I only had a short time of use for cooling mode.

I've had window units before, all fairly small, and back in the 60s had a Chrysler 2-ton in a tiny house I owned that did the entire structure... of about 1100 sqft.

In my memory, not one of those older units EVER made as much noise as the Kuhls. The fans are large and very powerful, but not appreciatively loud, but as soon as the compressors kick in, clunks, buzzes, vibration and the sound of the compressor itself kick in and, especially in the bedroom, are horrible. In addition the temperature control has never been very good. If you have either or both units on automatic, they wait until way past the point that they should turn on and then continue to run way past where they should shut down... resulting in a 4 degree spread on either side of the selected temperature.

I immediately had a warranty issue and Friedrich's nearest contractor was 60 miles from my rural home, and they insisted I bring them the unit because they didn't allow their "boys" to take them out of the wall. I reluctantly did so (I am 76 and my wife is tiny) and all they did was put the unit on a table and pronounce it "no problems".

No I do not recommend you pay nearly $2500 and install these yourself. That's far two much for two small units. Yes they do have remote controls, but those too have issues and I do not use them. You can buy an optional module to get wifi control now too, but I did not explore that. No I am not happy with them, but I'm pretty much stuck with them. I have an LG 8000 BTU unit in the guest room and it is much quieter since it uses a rotary compressor.