Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trane XL15i worth $500 more than Lennox XC13 in terms of quality?

Posted by jreich (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 13, 11 at 12:27

I know it's not totally apples to apples, the Trane being a 15 seer and the Lennox a 13 seer. I can get a XL15i for $5K after rebate or the XC13 for $4,500. I figure the payback on the extra $500 would be ~8 years. But I'm wondering about the quality difference too? Is the XL15i a superior unit and worth the additional price just in quality?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trane XL15i worth $500 more than Lennox XC13 in terms of qual

Jreich

You would be wasting your money since your furnace is sgl stg and does not have either a variable speed or high eff blower.

If I could get Trane's XR13 AC condenser with matching Trane evap coil [no third party coil] for same price as Lennox XC13, that would be my choice.

IMO

o

Here is another wrinkle. What if I could get the Lennox guy to throw in the 12 year parts and labor warranty (which they normally charge $500 for). How does that change things?

The XR13 would be $4,700. I'm hoping to get a few more years out of my furnace, but it too will have to be replaced in the not too distant future. That's why I would entertain the XL15i.

o

jreich

just to be clear, you can not achieve the efficiencies from a 15-16 SEER condenser without a var speed furnace or air handler.

I do think the XR13 with best matching Trane coil is better constructed and more reliable than the XC13.

But with Lennox extended warranty both labor and parts, you have a decision to make.

I would also consider your comfort zone and the reputation of the dealers involved.

With the Lennox ext warranty, you know you will have at least some measure of peace and mind for 10-12 years.

That's all I can offer.

IMO

o

Thanks. I realize I won't achieve that seer rating with the old furnace. Just thinking ahead that if my furnace dies in the next few years, I would make it compatible with the 15i.
Both are reputable dealers. Here are the deals on the table:
Trane XL15i - 5,070
Trane XR13 - 4,700
Lennox XC13 - 4,550*
waiting to hear if they'll do the 12 year parts and labor at no charge.

o

The Lennox dealer is willing to throw in the extended parts and labor at no charge. Waiting to hear what else the Tran dealer will do, but they don't sound like they're willing to deal any longer. Decisions, decisions....what would you do?

Trane XR13 $4,700 10yr parts
Lennox XC13 $4,500 12yr total parts and labor

o

jreich

the only way to compare is to tack on about $500 to the Trane cost to cover their ext warranty. It's very doubtful Trane dealer will give on this issue.

with that said, it seems your decision is fairly easy. you do want to make certain the Lennox dealer's warranty is not a third party warranty but covered by Lennox. Very important. Those third party warranties are problematic.

IMO

o

It's a third party that Lennox endorses and is on the Lennox web page. The 12 years is only offered through Lennox premier dealers. The Lennox site says this: "All plans are 100% insured and fully protected, offered by Lennox in partnership with Service Net Solutions."

o

jreich

not impressed with 3rd party warranty companies. too many problems. for me, that's a game changer.

These 3rd party warranty companies have a bad reputation. I would want the manufacturer warranty. how do you know they will be in business 10 yrs down the road?

has anyone had any experience with a claim positive or negative with Service Net Solutions?

post back.

o

True, but we don't even know if Trane or the dealer will be around in ten years. The warranty company is endorsed by Lennox (http://www.lennox.com/support/warranty.asp) which gives me more confidence. I would hope the dealer would give good will if anything happened. I don't know. I'm still a bit nervous about going with another brand. But it is a good deal. I might even just get the G61V furnace too.

o

jreich

put that endorsement by Lennox in your hand. look at it because that's exactly what it's worth. absolutely nothing.

sorry, i've wasted enough of my time and expertise on this thread.

you are on your own.

IMO

o

Thanks Tigerdunes. For curiosity, what is your hvac background?
I've decided to go with Trane. It's what I had and something (other than the board) tells me to stick with Trane. The dealer will sell me the XR13 for $4,700 or the XL15i for $5060. I asked they come down $200 on the XR unit but they won't.

o

My 10-yr-old house has a Lennox oil furnace in it. No lie -- one month after the 5-yr warranty ran out it started blowing components and has given me nothing but trouble since. I will never own another Lennox unit. I have heard and read very good things about Trane, so I think you made the right choice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here