Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldhomeplace

hot water baseboard heaters under floating banquette/bench?

Hannah Koenker
9 years ago

Hi wise group,

We just completed our kitchen remodel, except for putting back the hot water baseboard heaters. The space is 16'x16' with a vaulted roof and we originally had about 6' of regular baseboard heat (Slantfin), plus a tall version of baseboard heat (very powerful, about 2' tall, 6' long, and 6" deep, I can't find anything like this on line anywhere to describe it with more accurate terms). We still have both these radiators.

I am hoping to turn the 'breakfast nook' corner of our kitchen, which currently has a round table and four chairs, into an L-shaped banquette, as the current set up puts chairs into the doorway pathways. The walls are 5'8 and 6'4 and we could install regular baseboard heaters along them, in addition to the 4'3" of baseboard heater that will go back between the pantry and doorway on the left side of the kitchen (see plan).

My question is two-part: 1) is it possible to install floating benches over hot-water baseboard heaters and get the heat into the room? and 2) is 16 linear feet of Slantfin enough output for a room of this size?

I'm not very interested in the look or functionality of a solid banquette (e.g. with storage drawers), but if a blower fan is required to get the heat out into the room, then I can live with it. I was thinking the floating banquette option might work ok and allow the baseboard heat to heat the room efficiently. My GC is not a heating expert so I'm hoping the forum might have some answers!

thanks!