Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Carrie tech suggest cheap filters?

Posted by debnmike (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 17, 11 at 10:53

Last Nov had new Carrier A/C17Seer,Gas Furn,Coil and Infinity Control installed. Memorial day,Control said coil frozen, change filter. Tech came out, defrosted coil, put complete puron charge. Then 1 week later, control said, replace filter again. Different tech came said, not to use pleated filter, to use "cheap 99cent ones) as the system is so sensitive. I don't get it. So what if I wanted to add a media filter, I guess that would not work? Also when system put in,(furnace with coil on top) is in hall closet with 20x20 return, they added another return 20x20 in hall ceiling-3 feet away, and disconnected the 16x20 return that was in living room in a wall cavity. Wouldn't I need that one too? and therefore have 3 return grills? Opinions please!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Carrie tech suggest cheap filters?

What are the sizes of the furnace and condenser?

I assume the 16X20 return was abandoned because it used a wall cavity instead of a duct. It is hard to judge the effectiveness of the two 20X20 returns without seeing the set up.

I would be leary of a tech who told me I should be using a cheap 99 cent filter on my new Carrier Infinity furnace and condenser. A good 1 inch pleated filter with a Merv 8 rating should work. Do not use the 3M Filtrete filters. They are too restrictive.

You may have a static pressure problem. The change filter message is triggered by the static pressure reading. It is too high, then the furnace intrepret this as a dirty filter.

You can go into the advance menu and get the static pressure reading. You want the reading when the furnace or condenser is operating in the high stage. The ideal reading is 0.5 or less. A reading of 0.5 to 0.7 is accepatble. Anything higher is not good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here