Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Return Duct CFM Question

Posted by bjp999 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 4, 11 at 9:58

I have a return that is mounted in an interior wall between the studs.

It has a 16x20 grill with about 10 ft of in-wall duct running down into the crawl space, where it connects to a 12" flex, and runs back to my air handler (about 25 ft).

How much return CFM can I expect from this return?

Would increasing the diameter of the flex give higher CFM (or is the in-wall duct or grill the limiting factor)?

What size flex should I use to best use this return, and how much CFM would it deliver?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Return Duct CFM Question

Larger duct sizes will deliver higher CFM. If your flex is poorly supported or not tight,or has kinks, this will severely restrict CFM. Consider using hard pipe/duct.

The answer to your question is a little more complicated.

V

o

Ignoring the flex, what is the max CFM that the in-wall duct would allow to be supplied through the return?

o

"Ignoring the flex, what is the max CFM that the in-wall duct would allow to be supplied through the return?"

Not a PRO, but I'll give you my take on it. The wall cavity (assuming 2 x 4s, is 3.5" deep, by about 14.5 wide. The nearest commercial size rectangular duct is 14 x 4. So let's assume they're about equal.

a 14 X 4 duct CAN carry 200 CFM. Notice the word 'CAN'. The actual airflow will be dependent on the static pressure in the duct system. So a return duct with turns, long length, and other restrictions (flex and filters, notably), will tend to have a higher SP, and prevent the duct from carrying its full potential of air.

Having a variable speed blower can help to overcome some duct problems by ramping up in an attempt to deliver the set airflow.

By enlarging the duct downstream of the wall, you are allowing the velocity of air to be decreased, which in turn, decreases the SP. So it can help, somewhat.

It would be beneficial to add additional return(s).

V

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here