Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
martindi_gw

Need A/C Recommendations for South Florida

martindi
9 years ago

I have a 2000sq ft, single-story wood home built in 1989 in South Florida. I have only been in the home 4 years and have had a/c problems every year. My current system is mismatched. There is a 4 ton Rheem handler in the attic and a 3.5 Trane condenser outside. Technicians have said that part of my problem is the mismatched system. My coil was replaced 2 years ago and apparently already has a leak. I'd rather not dump any more money into the system I currently have, so I am in the market for a new unit.

I would like some recommendations for a new unit that will work in the humid, hot area I live in. I would like to spend between 4,000 and 9,000, and wouldn't mind the unit having some bells and whistles, like wifi and air purification. The condenser is pretty close to my son's bedroom window, so a quiet unit would also be preferred. I like to keep the house around 74 degrees. There are probably only about 5 days a year that I would need to use the heater.

Any help and advice is much appreciated!

Comments (6)

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

Are you in coastal environment?

I recommend a professionally performed load calculation in writing as well as a ductwork review as far as size, adequate returns, leaks, insulation properties.

Home built on crawl space or slab?

Based on location, I assume this is straight AC with heat strip.

Post back.

IMO

• martindi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm 4 miles from the beach and, not sure if it matters, I live on a creek.

Our home is on concrete slab.

I have a heat pump now and my husband thinks we need another one. He thinks we use the heater a lot more than I do. He wants to keep the temp about 70 degrees in the winter and thinks we could run the heat about 30 days in a particularly cold year. Not sure if a heat strip would be cost effective if we use the heat that much. Thoughts?

I will request a load calculation and ductwork review in writing.

Are there particular models you would recommend for my situation?

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

4 miles is considered coastal environment.

Could you specify your location?

You will need to weigh the cost difference between the HP and straight AC condenser. If heat is infrequently used, then I would opt for straight AC with heat strip.

Trane or American Standard models. Next Carrier with their coastal models and aluminum coil air handlers. I can spec a few systems out if interested.

IMO

• martindi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm in Jupiter, which is near West Palm Beach.

I would love it if you could spec a few systems. Thanks!

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

2 choices both AC systems; also available in HP models. Same systems available from Trane's sister company, American Standard.

XR16 3 1/2 ton Sgl stage
    5867094 Active Systems XR16 TRANE 4TTR6042B1*AM7A0C42H31 1310 42000 13.00 16.00 1RCU-A-CB 326 Yes

XR17 4 ton 2 stage
    5996230 Active Systems XR17 TRANE 4TTR7048A1*AM7A0C48H41 1400 1190 48500 13.00 17.00 1 RCU-A-CB Yes 354 Yes

I strongly recommend a load calculation and ductwork analysis be performed.

IMO

• martindi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks!