Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What size propane tank?

Posted by wwwonderwhiskers (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 3, 11 at 9:38

Would anyone like to please add their experience with what size buried propane tank we might need?

New home 4300 sq.ft on 3 levels (1000 in basement), 2 professionals, no children, 4br. Planned appliances using propane are:
- home heating system,
- hotwater heater,
- a 42" gas fireplace,
- Viking rangetop,
- porch grill,
- and a 15-20kw or so generator wired to fridges, cooking, 35% lights, WD, and home heating.

We'll be in agricultural zone 6b mid-Atlantic, and in country on 3 acres just outside the 'burbs.

We consider the 500 gallon - will this be enough if we loose power in Winter for 2 weeks?
We consider the 1,000 gallon - will this loose pressure & appliance performance faster when the tank gets low?

We plan on backup woodburning stove in basement to augment any serious foul weather. We will have an open wood-burning FP off kitchen for fun & entertainment.

xposting to Building a Home & Appliances. Let us know your thoughts. TIA !

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What size propane tank?

As long as you're having a hole dug, bury a 1000. With LP you'll never have as many gallons available as the tank is rated for. A "full" tank may have 950 gallons. As it gets low the available draw will decrease. It's not like fuel oil where it's good to the last drop.

o

With propane and a horizontal cylinder tank, the highest permissible delivery of gas is when the tank is half full. It is greater then than when full, which is 80% of maximum capacity. Your gas supplier can suggest the minimum tank size for your needs.

o

The tank will be regulated and will be capable of supplying whatever the regulator can supply. I see no reason why a regulator that can supply the needs of every appliance could not be met in this situation. I think a 1k tank would be the minimum.

o

I hope the person takes my previous advice. The regulator is not the only limiting factor. The surface area of the gas in the tank is a limiting factor. The gas must "boil off" and become vapor prior to leaving the tank. A small surface area delivers less vapor than does a large area. Cooler temperatures also slow the transition from liquid to gas. So the propane vaporizes more slowly at the very times that demand is greatest. Propane dealers can determine the tank size needed for your application.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here