Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Condensate pump...do I need one?

Posted by cindywhitall (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 29, 12 at 9:32

Proposal for new hvac includes condensate pump. 3 out of 4 include it. #4 said that you run the risk of it breaking. I've also seen where some people say it adds noise.

Our current 90% heater, age16, has a pipe that runs down the side and along the floor, about 2 feet to the edge of my floor where it drains into the French drain around my basement. This has been fine except that when we first moved in we didn't know it was there and stepped on it and had to repair it. We added a board on either side so we wouldn't do that again! Also, the basement has a small crawl right next to where the heater drains. Years ago we noticed termites in the crawl space. Termite guy said they like it wet, and the ground under it was likely damper due to condensate...

Should I bother with condensate pump? Probably save a few bucks without it. Also getting a tankless water heater, will it also have condensate? I don't know if I need more parts that can fail!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Condensate pump...do I need one?

It is an inconsequential cost. They work and are quiet. You put the condensate where you want it. Mine drains through an exterior wall onto a concrete splash that slopes away from the house. I have never had to do anythingnto my pump. It is about 7 yrs old. Looked at it yesterday since temps here are around 100+ degrees over the weekend. And yes the concrete splash was wet.

IMO

o

The condensate from gas heaters is rather corrosive, more than from air conditioning systems.

o

I would much prefer the condensate pump over a pipe running across the floor. I suppose if the drain or wall is very close to the furnace it is not as bad.

Condensate pumps only make a little noise when they are actually pumping. They are plenty reliable.

When I see the pvc pipe running along the floor of houses it could be stepped on accidentally. I also think it doesn't look nice.

o

Gravity drains are fine as long as the water is draining AWAY from the house via drain lines sewer lines whatever. (I know..code) I would personaly never drain into a french drain or any foundation or slab drainage. Yeh, termites. Lift pump is cheap, reliable and you can put the water wherever you want. I clean mine once a year (5 minutes)for reliablity. It could lower your humidity in the basement.

o
Attn: Busboy

I don't think of this as hijacking the thread, since the subject concerned 'reliability' of condensate pumps, and would be of general interest.

"I clean mine once a year (5 minutes)for reliablity."

Could you elaborate on your cleaning procedure?

Thanks.

V

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here