Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deeeeeleeeeete

Insulation of heat ducts in the attic - PROBLEM!

Debbie Downer
15 years ago

Hi Im having ongoing attic insulation and ventilation problems - your advice & expertise please!

Was supposed to have R50 insulation installed over the heat ducts which go thru the attic and then back down to the rooms below. I went up there and theres no way theres R50 over the ducts. Its cellulose and now that its settled theres barely an inch of insulation over them and in some areas are bare.

The contract said the attic ducts would be air sealed and insulated to R50 value. Is this a breach of contract? What specifically should I ask for to remedy the situation?

One of the other guys I had give me a quote (before the work was done) was going to cover the heat ducts in spray- on foam. Would this be a good solution? The second guy (who did the work) didn't want to do the foam but said he would have the pipes wrapped instead and then covered with the cellulose that went over the rest of the attic floor. I didn't see any insulation wrapped at all around the ducts - only some aluminum tape at the joints.

The cellulose alone is not doing it. I have ice dam problems in this one area of the roof where the heat ducts are.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County