Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hadlero

Questions about Carrier Performance Quote

weathertop
13 years ago

Hi -

We are replacing the central A/C for the second floor of our 2-story house. The first floor has a separate zone and appears to be working fine. Our second floor has about 800 square feet. I've all but settled on the quote below for this Carrier Performance second floor system, but I had the following questions:

(1) Is this a variable speed system? The best that I can tell from the Carrier website, the FXD4 air handlers have 5 fixed speeds.

(2) Does this system qualify for the Federal tax credit?

(3) I can't find any information on the model number for the included thermostat. Is this a good programmable thermostat?

(4) Will this system adequately remove humidity from our second floor?

(5) Any thoughts on this system in general? Should I make any changes or upgrades?

Many thanks in advance for any advice that folks can please offer.

Quote:

CARRIER HIGH EFFICIENCY AIR-CONDITIONING SYSTEM *REPLACEMENT* *16 SEER*

CARRIER CONDENSER #24APA5024 APPROXIMATE B.T.U 24,000 2.0 TONS

*410A REFRIGERANT*

CARRIER4 AIRHANDLER #FX4DNF025TOO APPROXIMATE B.T.U 24,000 2.0 TONS

CARRIER EZ-FLEX WHOLE HOUSE AIRCLEANER

INSTALLATION OF AN ADDITIONAL RETURN ON THE 2ND LEVEL FOR BETTER HUMIDITY REMOVAL

CARRIER PROGRAMMABLE THERMOSTAT #501Q

$6700 installed cost

Comments (6)

• ryanhughes
    13 years ago

No, this system does not qualify for the tax credit, and the FX4 air handler is not variable speed. Had they quoted the FV4CNF003T00 air handler, it would qualify -- and it would be a variable speed air handler (they would have to adjust this air handler to have an airflow acceptable to a 2 ton outdoor unit, factory setting is likely 3 ton).

Double check the model number on that thermostat. Carrier's thermidistat TH-PRH01 would be a better choice if humidity removal is your top concern. Variable speed air handlers are better for humidity removal when setup to lower fan speed if humidity gets too high. The return can help with humidity removal; however an oversized system will not. I'm assuming you had a 2 ton system before -- if that is the case, how well did it remove humidity? Did it run short cycles?

• tigerdunes
    13 years ago

weathertop

I beg to differ with my forum friend Ryan.

He is correct. That air handler is not variable speed.

However, the FX series air handler below does qualify for the tax credit. your dealer will need to provide you the complete model number.

3752108 Active Systems PERFORMANCE 15 PURON AC CARRIER AIR CONDITIONING 24APA524A31 FX4DN(B,F)037 24000 13.00 16.00 1

I have to say though that for a non var speed two ton straight AC system, I find the pricing absurd unless you live in NJ.

BTW, how do you heat=with a boiler?

IMO

• ryanhughes
    13 years ago

Tiger you are correct that it can qualify with the FX4DNF037T00 air handler; however the O.P. states he was quoted "FX4DNF025T00" -- which would not qualify. It's a shame that an air handler was quoted which wouldn't allow the OP to receive the tax credit or the benefits of a v/s system (Performance outdoor unit should have a Performance indoor unit, right?).

• tigerdunes
    13 years ago

absolutely agree with Ryan. I would prefer the VS air handler but with that ridiculous pricing, you want at the very least a tax credit qualifdying system. this dealer is not looking out for your best interests.

IMO

• weathertop
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks to those who have responded. For those who wondered on pricing, yes, I do live in NJ. The pricing of this contractor was middle of the road vs. other Carrier dealers.

I e-mailed the contractor who shared this quote with me and specifically asked if the system had a variable speed motor, and his response was, "The fx has the ecm motor which is the same technology as the fv coil or you would not get the 16 seer rating."

He went on to share that I would receive the tax credit with this system...although based on the feedback here, I have my doubts.

Any thoughts on the feedback of my contractor?

Is there a definitive Carrier website that lists the systems and combinations that qualify for the tax credit?

• tigerdunes
    13 years ago

weathertop

I just knew you had to be in NJ with that kind of pricing.

The air handler quoted with the two ton Performance 15 AC does not qualify for the tax credit. And as been said, it is not var speed.

As far as your dealer, he is not being truthful or he is ignorant.

you can use the AHRI AC Directory to find the matching Carrier Performance 15 AC condensers paired with air handlers that qualify for the tax credit.

3404601 Active Systems PERFORMANCE 15 PURON AC CARRIER AIR CONDITIONING 24APA524A31 FV4CN(B,F)003 23600 13.00 16.00 1 RCU-A-CB 170 Yes
    3752108 Active Systems PERFORMANCE 15 PURON AC CARRIER AIR CONDITIONING 24APA524A31 FX4DN(B,F)037 24000 13.00 16.00 1 RCU-A-CB 173 Yes

see link attached. it should take you a few minutes to navigate the Directory. punch in Carrier on the Manufacturere list. Punch in Performance 15 from the condenser mdl list. Punch in 23,000 to 26000 cooling size. model status active. Punch in yes for eligible for tax credit. Then do your search.

IMO

Here is a link that might be useful: AHRI AC Directory

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21