Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where do I start?

Posted by JimT_OH (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 2, 11 at 7:35

Apparently my 13 year old compressor has seized. Two years ago I had a booster put on when it would not start. I was told at that time, it would seize up at any time. Last year it would not start. The repair guy said it was seized and I would need a new compressor, cendensor, and exchanger. My furnace is in good shape, no need to replace it.

So where do I start in finding a reliable, reputable contractor to get quotes? I will pay for good work, but I don't know any HVAC contractors. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where do I start?

jim

what about your service company? they sell new HVAC don't they?

ask friends, neighbors, people at work.

I prefer small HVAC shops where owner is involved in all aspects of business.

what is brand/mdl of your furnace? I like the idea of the system being of one brand although it's not necessary. you will need at the very least an outside condenser, matching indoor evap coil, and possibly new lineset.

if you have any hot/cold spots in home, now is the time to point these out for possible improvement.

if you post your location, perhaps a forum member can make a recommendation.

IMO
Good Luck!

o
RE: Where do I start?

Angie's list? And back-check with the BBB for complaints.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here