Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rarnaples

Review my Trane XL18i quote

rarnaples
9 years ago

I'm in SW Florida and have received the following proposal for replacing my air conditioning unit:

Trane XL18i condenser 4 ton Model 4TTX8048
Trane XL air handler 4 ton Model TAM7AOC48
10 KW heat strip
Honeywell Prestige IAQ thermostat
Add new 10" flex return from master bedroom to existing ductwork
2 year maintenance contract (4 visits) included
$6450 after all rebates

Comments (9)

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

A very nice system. I will assume you are sized correctly. Good net pricing.

I would get the TAM60 size air handler for the extra point in SEER plus extra cooling BTUs. Comparison below.

5942930 Active Systems XL18I TRANE 4TTX8048A1 *AM7A0C48H41 1400 1190 48500 13.00 17.00 1 RCU-A-CB Yes 354 Yes

5942931 Active Systems XL18I TRANE 4TTX8048A1 *AM7A0C60H51 1505 1205 50000 13.00 18.00 1 RCU-A-CB 344 Yes

While the thermostat selected is a great one, not clear what the benefit is other than dealer knowing how to set up dehumidify on demand which is a great feature considering your location. Any auxiliary equipment to be connected not listed? A 10 KW heat strip will yield about 35 KBTUs in heating. Probably rarely needed.

IMO

• rarnaples
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your feedback. Not sure what you mean by auxiliary equipment but he is including a UV light and using my old 5" filter box in the installation. What should I expect additional cost to be for TAM60?

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

Price difference on the air handler should be inconsequential if that. This is about inside evap coil size. no difference in overall physical dimension. You will have to be the judge. I would want the 60.

Is the thermostat quoted WiFi capable? I would ask dealer if he plans on setting up dehumidify on demand. That's the major benefit I see from this selection. He should if he plans to use that thermostat. Otherwise a complete waste.

IMO

• airstarsupply
    9 years ago

Honeywell Prestige IAQ isn't WiFi Capable - but if you ask them to throw in the RedLink Gateway you'll have Internet connectivity through Honeywell's Free Portal and access from any 'Smart' device. Additionally , that stat can expand to control a dehumidifier , or bring in fresh air if necessary. It doesn't just overshoot or overcool like Trane's TCONT803...nice choice with the Prestige!

Check the Energy rebate on the 60 vs. 48 , that would be the main difference.

• rarnaples
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks and yes, Redlink was included. Job complete with specs as above. Installation looks great and what a difference in air feel from before!

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

That s a heck of a nice system and great pricing.

Enjoy.

TD

• rarnaples
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks TD. BTW how do you feel about the value in purchasing the 10 year extended labor warranty?

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

That's a hard question to answer. There is a bit of a comfort factor and piece of mind knowing you have it if needed. The cost is usually around 10% of the purchase price. I just serviced a nearly 10 yr old system several weeks ago that had the ext warranty. Symptom was the compressor would not start. Always a troubling sign. Turned out to be minor, a failed capacitor. So the call, part, and repair were totally covered by the full warranty. This was the first repair under the warranty. Of course, there have been multiple routine PMs to this system through the years and those are not covered. So in this case, I would say the homeowner was on the losing end of the ext warranty. Part would have been covered anyway and it is relatively cheap.

Trane use to sell these ext warranties themselves although they had it covered through a third party insurer behind the scenes. Never something they really wanted to do but they had to offer it. I believe that has changed but Trane was good to work with. Now these real third party warranties generally are not worth the paper they are written on and very close to being nothing other than a scam. In many cases they have relationships with less than reputable and reliable HVAC shops. You should know the names but if you don't, just use google. Stay as far away from them as you can.

Probably the most expensive type repair would be the compressor in the outdoor unit and the var speed motor for the indoor unit. These could easily justify the ext warranty.

TD

• Rosy123
    9 years ago

I live in same area. do you mind sharing your dealer name. this quote looks amazing