Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trane not cooling

Posted by cougar3222 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 25, 10 at 6:46

Hi Everyone,

I have a trane x17i unit that is just under three years old. I was having trouble with it not cooling properly and called for service. It was decided that the second stage compressor was not kicking in and a valve in the inside unit needed to be replaced. With that done and the outside temp in central fl. has been in the mid 90's. I have the thermostate set at 72. In the day time the house temp goes up to 80. I have left it set at 72 all night and at 6a.m.the temp is reading 74. The air out of the registers is cool and the air coming out of the outside unit is very warm. Is this normal with this heat? Any help is appriciated
Thanks, Joe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trane not cooling

The air inside should feel cold. The exhausted air from the condensor shhould optimally feel almost hot, so very warm may be OK. The big insulated pipe outside going into the wall should feel VERY cold and very wet. You should get a nice flow of air from the vents.

o

Hey Cougar

This is EXACTLY what mine was doing.....It would not maintain the temp. I had it set at 74 and by 5pm, inside temp would be up to 78 until dark, then it would slowly come back down until ultimately it was back to 74 around midnight and then it would start to cycle as normal. Otherwise it ran all day. Tech came out, said I was 2 lbs low of freon.....He put more in and WHAT a difference!!!!! Even at 92 degrees out it maintains the temp I have it set on.....Mind you, the hottest part of the afternoon it doesn't cycle off much if any, but during the morning/early afternoon and night is cycles on/off as normal.

o

How did he check the freon? Does it seem like something you could do yourself? Unit doesn't seem to cool effectively and of course started on Friday so I can't get anyone out until Monday to check. If it's also something simple I'd love to avoid a service charge.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here