Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lemonspice_gw

How long to install Central heat & air ?

lemonspice
14 years ago

I am having central heat & air installed in my home this week. Originally, I was told it would take 5 days, yesterday I was told it could take up to 2 weeks. I was expecting a crew but, only one man was sent out. The first day he pulled the (2)floor heaters and rough patched the openings. Today he cut the hole in my roof and put in a metal stand.

I was wondering why he would cut the hole so soon, I would think that would be done after all other work was completed. He says he now has to install the gas line and electric, he also said tomorrow he would bring a "helper". The pace of the work so far seems pretty slow.

Also, I'm wondering if the work is being done correctly. The AC stand metal border was pushed under the roof shingles. He says this makes the area water tight, but I wonder if that's enough. I would appreciate if someone would let me know what they think.

I would like to be more knowledgeable in the event I need to contact the supervisor.

Thank you

Comments (5)

• rpfingsten
    14 years ago

Lemonspice... last year I had 2 complete heat pump systems changed out which included both outside compressors, two air handlers inside, 2 sets of strip heat, changing out the ductboard plenums with sheet metal plenums and some ( not alot ) of ductwork changed out... installation was basically by one man and a helper ( someone he was actually training ) Took about 1 week to get it all done.

Roland

• veesubotee
    14 years ago

Had my 20 year old furnace & coil removed, new high efficient furnace w/condensate pump & line installed, new PVC intake/exhaust lines run. Placed new cased coil on furnace (not hooked up). New return drop installed. This was done (day 1) as it was heating season.

Day 2, removed old outdoor unit, replaced w/new a/c and base. Ran new lineset. Purging of lines with nitrogen - brazed new lines, then pressure tested w/nitrogen. Triple evacuation with R410a. Charge adjusted via superheat/subcooling. This was completed a couple of hours early.

The above was done by installer (main guy) and helper who do installations, only.

Your installation should not take 5 days, let alone 2 weeks. It sounds like this is a 1.5 man outfit. Hope it works out for you.

V

• lemonspice
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you both for responding. He starts at 9am, takes an hour and a half break and leaves at 3pm. I don't see how he can get this job done quickly when he only works 4 and 1/2 hours. He isn't exactly a workhorse either. Fortunately, for me it isn't hot out yet. I'm going to see how much is completed today before I call the supervisor.

• fluffybunnysui
    14 years ago

We usually can do a changeout in one day, granted we're installing the same type of equipment...ie gas furnace to a gas furnace. If we're going from say a gas furnace to a electric furnace, then usually no more than 1 & 1/2 days. This would also include the outdoor unit.

It sounds to me like you don't have a central unit at all in your home, so he has to do everything, ductwork, electrical, copper lines, t-stat wiring, set the units, everything. Probably gonna be 4 or 5 days... it's always harder to install a unit in an existing home than in new construction becuase you have to work around stuff thats already there. 2 weeks is stretching it a bit, but then again, i don't know your homes layout.

Hope this helps

• lemonspice
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You're right, he is starting from scratch. Today, I let him and his helper know that I do not want this going for 2 weeks. I was amazed at how much work they got done. Tomorrow they will be putting in the vents. Now they said they will be done by Monday.