Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to force furnace to fan to turn on

Posted by sousvide23 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 7, 11 at 2:11

Hi all
I switched to a Honeywell RTH8500 programmable thermostat from one of those mercury based dial thermometers. There were two wires coming out of the wall into the old thermostat.

I hooked it up without issue - heat blows out when it's supposed to. Now that summer is nearing, I wanted to use the furnace to circulate some air through the returns by switching it to fan mode (no heat). I've followed the instructions on how to set the thermostat to do this but I CANNOT get the fan to turn on - it will only engage when I set the desired temperature OVER what the current room temp is...and I don't want that in the summer.

Did I wire this thing up wrong? I checked my furnace...the manual does say it's capable of fan only operation.

cheers.

Follow-Up Postings:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here