Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellessebee_gw

Need primer on how to find a good HVAC contractor

ellessebee
10 years ago

I have decided to contract out the HVAC myself for my new house. This means asking my general contractor to remove the sub-standard equipment his HVAC guy installed and starting all over again. I have no idea how to select a contractor or how to assess their proposals. I need some guidance - and, if there are any - indicators I should look out for in either a good one or one to stay away from. This is so far out of my realm of experience and knowledge I feel like a sitting duck - but I am in real need of A/C! The ductwork was installed and will remain although may need some modifications. The mechanicals have to be specified and installed. The contract with the GC calls for 16 SEER variable speed Carrier or Trane equipment (which is not what his guy put in). The ducts and air handlers were installed for 2 condensers, one 2 ton and 1 4 ton, the latter on 2 zones. I think we need 2-stages on the larger unit, maybe not on the smaller. From what I've read, single stage, 1-ton might be adequate for that zone. But I don't know what to look for in a good installer - they seem very hard to come by. It feels a little like trying to ask directions in a foreign country - I can ask lots of questions, but I don't understand a word they're saying! All advice appreciated!

Comments (7)

• mike_home
    10 years ago

I would first start with asking for recommendations from friends. Most people select their contractor solely on price, so you have to be careful.

If you like the Trane and Carrier equipment, then go the web sites and search for factory authorized dealers in your area. There is no guarantee they will be good, but it helps improve the probability. Explain the situation you have and ask if they will do a thorough Manual J calculation in order to determine the size of the equipment. You also want the duct work to be inspected to make sure it is the proper size.

The proposals should have a complete list of all model numbers of the equipment and details of what work will be done. The contractor should be able to discuss and propose different equipment options and their pricing. If a contractor is unwilling to do these things then keep looking. Get at least three proposals. I recommend staying with the same brand so it makes easier to make comparisons. There is nothing wrong with comparing two brands as long as you understand the details of the equipment.

• juliekcmo
    10 years ago

I work at an HVAC distributor. I suggest you phone the local distributors in your area for 2-3 manufacturers and ask them to recommend a few contractors. Explain that you are wanting a really good installer that can evaluate the duct design, load, do zoning, and recommend equipment. Don't speak to the receptionist, ask for the residential sales manager or marketing director.

Then when you call these dealers, if they are a larger dealer, tell them the same thing and ask for their most experienced team to be assigned to look at your job. You need to come across as a patient person who wants things done well, and isn't going to beat them up and be cheap on price, or waste their time looking over your job and then call in el-cheapo to bid against them to install.

• ellessebee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the good advice - but I must say I'm finding that, during a heat wave, it's quite hard to get even one installer to look at the job! I did get the lovliest e-mail from one authorized Trane dealer telling me that he had to downsize with the downturn in the economy and now that business is better, he just can't find qualified people to hire. That's the kind of person I'd like to hire - but he's not taking any new installation jobs - just doing service. If only all HVAC contractors were so scrupulous.... I hope to get at least 2 proposals which I will post for your feedback. Thanks.

• ellessebee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've taken your advice and been looking for factory authorized installers of Carrier and Trane AC. Those are the brands my architect spec'd for our renovation so I am looking for those although I would be open to other brands of equal or better quality. I am finding few and far between factory authorized installers! Should I switch brands? I've been using the Trane and Carrier websites to search - is there another way? I can't believe those brands aren't use in my area - maybe not Trane so much but Carrier must be, very few service companies. What do you suggest I do?

• mike_home
    10 years ago

Bryant is the same equipment as Carrier, and American Standard is the same as Trane. Rheem and Rudd are also sister brands which have good reputations.

• ellessebee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So would that mean that if I can find an American Standard dealer I'd be getting something comparable to Trane? Is this the same situation with Carrier and ICP? The GC was supposed to install Carrier or Train and instead installed ICP air handlers and then said he could do Heil condensers - and Carrier if I really insisted. I got the feeling from people on this forum that they weren't comparable. Thanks.

• mike_home
    10 years ago

Carrier and Bryant are the same equipment with different badges on the outside. Sometimes Carrier will have a model or two which are not available through Bryant. In the past some ICP equipment overlapped a low end Carrier model however it seems Carrier may be discontinuing that practice. Heil and the other ICP brands are not the same as Carrier/Bryant despite the fact salesmen for ICP products would like you to think they are.

American Standard and Trane are also the same equipment with different labels.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor