Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
declfi

average cost for a 2 ton replacement system

declfi
16 years ago

What is the average cost to have a 2 ton air cond system replacement 13 seer.

Comments (8)

• bob_brown
    16 years ago

It depends on the brand of euipment and the installer. One installer may want $10,000 for a Goodman 13 SEER system, and another installer may want $6000 for the same equivelent Carrier system. The Carrier is more costly.

If the installation is straightforward replacement in Dallas, I would probably charge $3000 for a permitted job. I also do a modified Man J for free, many times.

• daddo
    16 years ago

Exactly what it's worth to do a proper job. No two are the same.

• mr_havac
    16 years ago

"I also do a modified Man J for free, many times."
    Modified??? Ahh, why would you modify it? Is there some fault in thier calculation process that you care to share with us?

• bob_brown
    16 years ago

No, TXU my electric supplier modified the Man J many years ago for my climate. I still like to use it. It is quicker than the full Man J, with less to consider. BTW, TXU is one of the larger electric suppliers in the world.

• ckmb5150
    16 years ago

Is this "modified manual J" a dallas-area only thing? Im right down the road in Waco and havent heard of a modifed manual J.

• bob_brown
    16 years ago

TXU offered the form to e-ok contractors in the early 80's. It had several multipliers built in to the calculations. I wrote a software application for a worksheet and contract, that I used for many years. Since I do very little new installation today, I havent seen the form for many years. I am sure it is in one of my desk drawers. It was not called a modified anything. I compared it to the man J in the 1980's and this is what I use as a descriptive label. The biggest difference is the assumed multipliers. I believe I was using it with 95 degrees ambient. This needs to be changed. Since I have recently started to do installs again, it has not been needed. I like to limit myself to repairs, but I have an investor that has a lot of replacement from theft.

• remodeler08
    16 years ago

In Raleigh North Carolina we normaly charge $3800.00 to $4200.00. We are changing out a two ton gas pack for $3500.00 today. We will be changing out a 2 ton split system for $4000.00 later this week.

The split system will include: 13 SEER heat pump, air handler, line-set, unit pad, digital thermostat, mechanical and electrical inspections, disposal of existing equipment and one year labor warranty and five year equipment warranty.

In New Orleans, we changed out a 3-ton split system for FREE.

Does this help?

• mike13
    16 years ago

Re: "What is the average cost to have a 2 ton air cond system replacement 13 seer."

By system that normally means the condensing
    unit, the evaporator coil, furnace, airhandler, & lineset.

Is this what you are referring to or are you just talking about the outside condensing unit? Is this an A/C unit or a heat pump?

Bob, regarding "No, TXU my electric supplier modified the Man J many years ago for my climate." Does that take into account the 100 plus days per year above 100 degrees for your climate? You make me laugh w/ the "modified Manual J". Any Manual J program in use today has standard values for a particular area (i.e. city, zip code, etc) that can then be changed/modified to a particular person's desire.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022