Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wmmallette

Carrier packaged unit

wmmallette
9 years ago

I have a Carrier packaged a/c-heat unit. It is electric for the a/c and natural gas for the heat. The model number on the sticker is 48GP-060115321TP, serial number 0305G21384. I attached a photo of the sticker on the outside of the unit.

Last summer when it started getting hot in the summer, it started having trouble keeping up with the heat. we had it serviced. the guy came and cleaned it really well and made sure the coolant levels were ok. He said he added a little coolant but not much. He said it was super dirty. After that worked great all summer. We have never had any heating issues with it. We live in MIssissippi and have lived here for 3 years, but according to the a/c repairman the unit is 9 years old, which to me doesnt sound old. I could not find an exactv match for the full model number, but the 48GP has a lot of info online stating that the SEER is around 12 or 13.

Anyway, we have the same problems this summer as it is heating up. The unit cant keep up after about 10 am until the sun starts setting in the evening. Same a/c repairman came and said the coil needs replacing. Installed, he quoted ~$1100 for the coil, but said he would not put that much into a 9 year-old system. He quoted $3500 for a new Rheem 5-ton unit installed to replace this one. I have no idea yet what model Rheem, but will know tomorrow.

My initial question is: Would you simply replace the coil at that price or should I consider a new system, even if I don't go with the one suggested by this guy?

I have no idea of quality of units between one brand to another, and I have no brand loyalty. All I know is for the majority of the day, my wofe and kids are hot and I dont want it to stay that way. However, I dont want to waste money either. Humidity levels make the heat here worse that in other areas of the country. My house is just over 2500 square feet, single level with one main trunk line running the length of the house with branches coming off to the rooms.

If you would would look for a new unit, but not use Rheem, please put your recommendations. If I can provide additional info that wouyld help, let me know and I will.

Help!

This post was edited by MickeyM1449 on Tue, May 27, 14 at 23:14

Comments (12)

• wmmallette
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, I did find a little info. In the attached picture, mine is the 5 ton, 59,000 but model on the last line of the chart. and it was manufactured in the third week of January 2005, so it is just over 9 years old and had a 12 SEER rating then.

The parts warranty is only 5 years and the other warranty pertains to the compressor or the heat exchanger. So, I am out of luck on any warranty of the coil.

Thanks to anyone with an experienced opinion!

-Mickey

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

It is just a little too easy to say the coil needs to be replaced.

A gas n go from last summer is just so unprofessional.

An effort should first be made to locate leak and see if it can be repaired. Some can, some can't.

I think you should consider another opinion or at least ask this company where the leak is located and why it can't be repaired.

IMO

• klem1
    9 years ago

I'm with tiger, get a secound opinion.

• bsmith
    9 years ago

This is a nine year old unit with a newly discovered leak. Sounds like it still has at least another 5-6 good years. This tech sounds lazy, thirded on another opinion and attempting to get the leak fixed first.

• wmmallette
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not that it matters based on the advice given (which I appreciate!), but he didn't say there was a leak. He said there was restricted flow through the coil. I'm not even sure what that means or if it changes anyone's opinion.

* I have asked someone else to come look at it too.

-Mickey

• wmmallette
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the Rheem unit that the first guy would want to install. Any opinions on it? versus the specs on the Carrier unit I posted in the original post.

The second opinion repairman is on his way to the house this afternoon to look at my current unit. By tonight, I will have some more answers I hope.

-Mickey

• bsmith
    9 years ago

Restricted flow through coil could be a very easy fix costing tens of dollars rather than thousands of dollars for a new unit. The DIYer could do it even cheaper after a quick jaunt to Home Depot. Have him open up the unit and show you the obstruction.

Personally I would have tons of dealers waiting in line to give me opinions and quotes. It's like fishing, eventually you catch a good one. lol

• harryc
    9 years ago

Any new info, Mickey? BTW...Is the $3500 quote the price for the whole 5ton system? (outside unit, coil and heat)

• wmmallette
    Original Author
    9 years ago

$3500 is whole quote, installed.

Second opinion guy came today, but the compressor was one big block of ice, so we have truned off the system and running the fan overnight and he will return in the morning. He did say though, that he would be shocked if it was a restriction in the coil. I have no idea what he is basing that on, but he sounded confident as he looked inside the unit. Not that it should matter, but the man today works for a company that deals in carrier products almost exclusively.

Im hoping for the best, but mainly just want an honest appraisal of my situation. I will post tomorrow.

-Mickey

• wmmallette
    Original Author
    9 years ago

UPDATE:

Carrier man came today and cleaned the drier, said coil looked fine. Working well right now.

Total bill, service call and all = $150
    -------------------------------------------------
    Estimated bill from initial repairman = $1100 - $3500

• bsmith
    9 years ago

Sweet. Now take that money and use it to beef up your ductwork and insulation. 9 out of 10 homes usually need it. :)

• wmmallette
    Original Author
    9 years ago

what would i do to "beef up" my ductwork?

i guess i could add some insulation, but I'm pretty good in that area

-Mickey