Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bryant legacy preferred 16 seer v. trane xli 15 seer

Posted by researchmom (My Page) on
Mon, May 24, 10 at 22:39

We have zoned gase/heat & AC and live in Suburbs of Philadelphia, PA. We have a 10 y.o. builder's grade Lennox split system, and need to replace the 3 Ton AC unit for 1st floor of Single family Home with open floor plan and 2 story rooms. We use AC all season long. Top choices are:
Bid 1: Bryant Condenser 126BNA036 (16 SEER) Bryant Coil CNPVP6036, Bryant Thermostat T2PAC01, incl. all duct transitions, condensate drain, refrigerant line set, condenser pad and all piping & wiring, 10 yr warranty on scroll compressor and Bryant parts, 1 yr all parts and labor, $3900 OR
Bid 2: Trane 15 SEER XLi air conditioner and A-coil, new line set, pad, disconnect and electrical whip. 10 year warranty on parts and labor, $3958

Which is the better way to go? Have never owned either brand before. (Also used most of the Tax Credit on new windows before the AC surprise.) Thanks in advance for the guidance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bryant legacy preferred 16 seer v. trane xli 15 seer

If both are single stage systems, I like the Trane better, but they are both comparable systems, and that's just my opinion. Why are they quoting higher efficiency models, since without a variable speed blower in the furnace, most you are likely to get is 14 SEER?

o

We also got quotes on Trane XB14 that's @ $800 cheaper, and Trane XR15 that's @ 550 cheaper, and Lennox XC14 that's $700 less and a Lennox XE15 that's comparable to the first two I asked about -- Lennox warranty is 10 yrs coil and compressor, 5 yr parts, 1 yr labor. The way it was explained to me the higher the Seer, the greater the savings - I was told a difference of each Seer can lower energy savings by @ $150 yr per Seer, and a 13 Seer would get us the same energy bills we currently have with our 10 y.o. equioment. Your thoughts?

o

They are both single stage units. We also got quotes on Trane XB14 that's @ $800 cheaper, and Trane XR15 that's @ 550 cheaper, and Lennox XC14 that's $700 less and a Lennox XE15 that's comparable to the first two I asked about -- Lennox warranty is 10 yrs coil and compressor, 5 yr parts, 1 yr labor. The way it was explained to me the higher the Seer, the greater the savings - I was told a difference of each Seer can lower energy savings by @ $150 yr per Seer, and a 13 Seer would get us the same energy bills we currently have with our 10 y.o. equipment. Your thoughts?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here