Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dbmet

Choosing a Heat Pump or Air Conditioner

dbmet
12 years ago

I'm looking at purchasing the Lennox HPX14 paired with CBX27UH for 5700 or the XC13 paired with CBX26UH-060 5100.00

XC14 paired with CBX26UH-060 5354.00

Just looking for a reliable system that will last a long time.. Climate is in Victoria Tx about 120 miles south of Houston Tx..

Any recommendations?

Comments (11)

• ryanhughes
    12 years ago

The 14HPX is a heat pump, while the XC13/XC14 are air conditioners. The XP13/XP14 are heat pumps. Are you being quoted only heat pumps? The CBX27UH is the nicer air handler with a higher efficiency motor, but the XC13/XC14 is the nicer outdoor unit in my opinion (quieter, nicer cabinet).

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

dbmet

how do you currently heat?

not a fan of Lennox HPs. I would stay away from the HPX series. If Lennox, look at the XP14 HP paired with best VS air handler or high eff air handler.

what size are you replacing?

post back.

IMO

• dbmet
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks I was quoted the cheap ACX13 with the 14HPX heat pump, and I went ahead and ask for prices on the XC 13 and XC14. I will try to get prices on the XC model with the better air handler today..
    I heat with electric heat currently but also have a fireplace that we use. It's a 5 ton system.. Where I live cooling is much more important with 95-100 degree temps in the summer..

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

dbmet

I would get a price on the XC14 AC and XP14 HP condensers with best matching air handler. Make the comparison and determine if the price difference is worth going to HP.

BTW, I see that Victoria has an average winter temp around 50 degrees fah. If you currently heat with a heat strip, do you know the size?

IMO

• dbmet
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Great ill do that.. It a 20kw strip..

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

20 KW is too large for your area/climate. even with a HP, I doubt you would have very many defrost calls.

cut back to a 15 KW and have it staged regardless whether you go with the AC or HP condenser.

keep in mind a 15 KW heat strip yields about 51 KBTUs which should be more than enough.

IMO

• neohioheatpump
    12 years ago

I would definitely go with the heatpump over A/C. The heatpump version shouldn't cost much more than the straight A/C. You will cut your electric usage dramatically during heating season with the heatpump. Its a no brainer to me. The heatpump will only use .25 to .33 of the electricity your heatstrips were using for the same heat.

• dbmet
    Original Author
    12 years ago

When you purchase a heat pump and use it for cooling and heating, isn't that putting double the work on the compressor?thus shortening its life vs using heating strips?

• weedmeister
    12 years ago

Not near as much as you might think.

• neohioheatpump
    12 years ago

I've heard running a heatpump for heat during the cold isn't as hard as running for cold-air during the heat based on pressures in the system. Heat pumps last a plenty long time. They usually have extra features that protect them better than straight A/C's.

• dbmet
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Got Prices back on the CBX27 Air handler
    XC13 Electric/Electric 13.5 SEER with the CBX27 = $ 5,785.00
    XC14 Electric/Electric 14.2 SEER with the CBX27 = $ 5,985.00

XC13 paired with CBX26UH-060 5100.00
    XC14 paired with CBX26UH-060 5354.00