Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
baileyq

Help with which new AC to go with

baileyq
10 years ago

Recently purchased a 1-story condo in Tampa, FL area. During home inspection, AC came up as doing fine, but 9 yr old compressor and cheaper Payne PFIMN. Now that the weather is hotter and I'm there all day on weekends, the AC fan is on but no cool air. Thermostat set to 76 but temp is 80+, and if I turn off unit, turn on an hour later, it works again until it repeats. At night, works fine, but even at 75, it still feels humid. So have had 3 companies come out. All check out reasonably well with BBB. One wants to give me a 2.5 ton Rheem 14 SEER for $4900, one wants to put in a 2 or 2.5 ton Lennox 14SEER for $4300, and the last is selling a Carrier Infinity 2ton 15 Seer for $7k with 10 yr parts and labor warranty on all of it. The only co. to do the computer check for sizing was the last one. The other 2 just used the previous size, but as I research, I realize that my AC goes on and off frequently, which must mean 2.5 tons is too big. The condo is approx. 1100 sqft but has cathedral ceiling in LR/DR combo. I'm more concerned about getting a unit that will not break down or need a new coil in 5 yrs. The Carrier unit is the more expensive model, which I'm not sure I need. That co. also has the best warranty, but i think I'm paying for it in the price. Should I keep shopping or work with one of these companies? All advice is welcome.

Comments (5)

• baileyq
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just realized that the Carrier guy is selling me a heat pump not just AC, and the other 2 are just quoting AC only. I have not turned on my heat in the 2 winters I've been in FL. Do I need to change the whole thing?

• mike_home
    10 years ago

How do you heat the condo now?

If you like the Carrier dealer then ask him to quote a Performance series AC. This will bring the price closer to your other quotes. You don't have to get the 2-stage Infinity. The 10 year parts and labor warranty adds about 10% to the price.

• totsuka
    10 years ago

When I replaced by AC (Stuart Fl area), I called ten different HVAC companies and for the same equipment the bids were about 100-4000 difference in price. So there is a lot of "wiggle room" in the HVAC business.

I like Trane, it's quiet and works. Rheem/Rudd to me, just seemed to be too loud.

We went with a Trane XR-13 and variable speed air handler. It is recommended to change both at the same time. We lived in that home (1200 sq ft) for another 1.5 years and it was a great system. Very quiet and worked great.

The company I went with was a smaller, father/son company with the son being the owner and the father being the helper.

Installation is everything. If they do a cheap quick job you will not get the best performance.

You should at least visually check your air ducting to see if it is in good shape. If it is the "flex duct" it might have holes in it. If it is the older metal ducts it might have leaks at the joints.

A good company will take the size of your condo, plug the number into their software and give you an exact size required for your unit.

I ended up paying 3200 dollars for the Trane. Our home here in Orlando has a XR12, installed in 2005 when the home was built, I'm the 3rd owner, and I have zero complaints about this unit. 2200 sq foot home.

You might also check your utility web site and see if they are offering any rebates. OUC here in Orlando does and so does FPL in South Florida.

HVAC is a pain and a real pain if you don't know which company to hire. I still think getting at least 10 quotes is a good way to go. You can get a good feel for the various contractors and look at Trane too.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

For Bailey

Does your condo share any common walls, floors, or ceilings with other units.

I would think a straight AC with var speed air handler and small heat strip would be the way to go.

How many returns do you have?

I am sure you know but Payne is a low end HVAC brand.

I can't comment on your quotes without knowing the model numbers both outside condenser and inside air handler.

IMO

• baileyq
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for answers. I've been focused on a new plumbing problem--when it rains it pours!

Mike--in the 2 years I've been in the area, I have not turned on the heat. So that's why I didn't want to buy a whole system, but just replace the AC unit because I do need that. The home inspector turned on the furnace during the inspection and it put out heat, but I don't know why it would need replacing.

The Carrier unit that's being quoted is: 25HNB524 and a Carrier FU4CNF002 with SEER of 15. I will ask about the lower model cost.

Tigerdunes - I share one wall with another unit, but that's it. It's a pretty small unit, but it does have that cathedral ceiling. It has 10 vents and 2 returns--1 is larger and in the LR/DR. I am thinking of moving the larger one to a hall ceiling. I've been told that it's too small by one company, too close to the floor by another co., and fine by the 3rd, but they'll move it if I want.

My main concern is getting a reliable AC unit. I had a Trane earlier where the coil went out 1 month after warranty, plus often, the parts are warranted, but the labor is a large cost.

totsuka--the quotes I'm getting include the rebates, etc. from FPL. I think you're correct in getting more than these 3 quotes.

One last question: I am having the popcorn ceiling removed. Is it better to replace the AC AFTER that's done? I may have to wait a month on that, which would mean some hot Florida days.

Thanks again,