Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sungawd

York AC in Florida - Question Regarding Model and Heat Recovery

sungawd
15 years ago

Hello everyone,

I did a search based on York and was able to answer few things but still have a few questions.

We were offered a York CZH 03611 model with a AUY or AVY 36C4HH21 Air Handler. It is a 3 ton, 18 SEER.

1. He said this is a Affinity 8T? Is that correct?

2. What is the difference between the CZH which we were offered and the YZH? Is the YZH a heat pump and the CZH a AC? It felt like the dealer was trying to "lower the model on us, so we could go with him". Lower the cost thus were enticed with the 18 Seer etc etc.

3. Another point - We currently have a Heat Recovery on our AC unit that pumps the hot water into our tank. Thus our Water heater bill is almost non-existent. However, our York dealer said they can "install a heat recovery unit for $1200!!!". He also gave me a song and dance speech about how it will take 1 to 2 days to install the heat recovery due to the York being such a "small unit".

********Now, I've been told UV lights for 1 light cost $200 to $1900 and Heat Recovery from $500 to $1400*****. Should I get another estimate from another york dealer about heat recovery?

Our system cost is $7,583. We have a rebate of 880 from our power company. We qualify for the $1700 rebate from York, along with the Tax Credit.

Thus

System = $7,480.

Power Rebate = -880

York Rebate = - 1700 (6 weeks later)

Total Cost = $5000.

Tax Credit Next Year.

Is that in line with the going rate or should I contact another York dealer in my area to get another quote?

Would you recommend York? I had one guy give a estimate to me trashing York saying the Coils will leak within 3 years and will lose frion (sp) by the pounds. Is that true?

Any help would be much appreciated.

I am going to post all my estimates by Wed once I get them; maybe you pro's can help me pick the best one? I do not want to get ripped off but I just know nothing to be honest.

Thanks

Comments (6)

• ryanhughes
    15 years ago

"1. He said this is a Affinity 8T? Is that correct? "

Yes.

"2. What is the difference between the CZH which we were offered and the YZH? Is the YZH a heat pump and the CZH a AC? It felt like the dealer was trying to "lower the model on us, so we could go with him". Lower the cost thus were enticed with the 18 Seer etc etc."

Yes, both are Affinity 8T units, but the YZH is the heat pump.

Heat recovery isn't really down my alley (i.e., I have no idea), but there is a member here who seems to be quite knowledgeable about the subject.

"Is that in line with the going rate or should I contact another York dealer in my area to get another quote?"

The $5000 is a very reasonable cost after all is said and done.

Any dealer who must bash another brand to further his own product is one I would do no business with. York and Carrier from what I read had some coil problems when they were made in Mexico, but as far as I know York has stopped the Mexico coil production and such problems stopped. All brands have coils that leak once in a while. I believe York gives you a 10-year warranty on that coil anyway with that outdoor unit.

• sungawd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay Great. Thanks for the follow up. I have 1 more estimate tomorrow and then I'll post what I got.

I had three different companies come out today; two said to avoid York due to the coil problem (leaks within 3 years has been the avg I've been told). Got quote's on various units but looks like I'm leaning toward a Lennox now.

Would anyone recommend a Heat pump in Florida or should I just go straight AC?

*We run the heat around 2 months give or take the entire year if that**

Thanks!

• ryanhughes
    15 years ago

I would recommend a heat pump in your area, because for those 2 months or so you do use heat, it's much cheaper heat than electric heat strips. Also the requirements to get the $1500 tax credit are lower. Looks like you're looking at 3 ton units, which I'll assume is correct but you want to have a load calc done to determine this (and have your ductwork checked to determine proper size, etc.), so here are a few ideas for Lennox setups since you're interested:

XP14-036-230 heat pump
    CBX32MV-048-230 air handler
    Honeywell VisionPRO IAQ thermostat (best for dehumidification by controlling blower speed)
    backup heat strips (customary to install on any heat pump install but needs to be in the estimate)
    = 15 SEER

XP19-036-230 heat pump (2-stage - helps with dehumidification)
    CBX32MV-048-230 air handler
    Honeywell VisionPRO IAQ thermostat/Lennox ComfortSense 7000 thermostat
    backup heat strips
    = 18.6 SEER

The Signature Line of equipment will run higher in price, probably around your York YZH price tag.

Both qualify for the tax credit, so - $1500 along with any other rebates you may receive.

I would recommend either of the two setups to you above, as well as the Trane XL15i heat pump (single stage) also qualifying for the $1500 tax credit:

4TWX5036A1000AA heat pump
    4TEE3F39A1000AA air handler
    Honeywell VisionPRO IAQ thermostat
    backup heat strips
    = 15 SEER

If I were looking into replacing the system at my house, Trane and Lennox are certainly two of the brands I'd consider.

• sungawd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

To ryanhughes and everyone:

I have this Lennox Quote: Somewhat similar to what ryan posted.

Lennox Heat Pump
    Model XP 19036 2 Stage @ 18.6 Seer
    3 Ton system with 410-A.

Air Handler
    CBX40UHV048 - 5 Kw

Thermostat is a CS 7000. The guy said I would have to use this one. The system also comes with a Hard Start Kit with High Efficiency filter built in I was told. Something about a 16 MEVR rating or what not.

The system cost is as follows

$8,800 System Cost
    - $880 Power Company Instant Cash
    - $1200 from Dealer (Said it was Instant Cash)
    Total is $6,720.

I also was told I would qualify for a $1,050 mail in rebate. Break Down--> This was $600 for the XP 19. $400 for the Air Handler and $50 for the Thermostat.

I would also qualify for the $1500 tax rebate in 2010.

Does this seem all about right Ryan or anyone else?

I was also offered a 10 year warranty for (LABOR) from Lennox themself for $700. Everything else standard is 2 years labor, 10 years parts, 10 years compressor and coils.

Along with a new heat recovery system at $675. Of the three that came out today, two said they would need to install a new heat recovery for our water heater or else the MFG would void the warranty if anything failed inside (blaming it on the older heat recovery system we have in place atm).

Thanks!

• ryanhughes
    15 years ago

That's a good system above. The CS7000 probably is a good thermostat to use just to keep everything matched up right.

So if I understand correctly, your final installed price is $4170 after all four rebates/credits are applied? If so that's fantastic for that nice of a system, which should do a very good job. If you can spring for it, the extended labor warranty is worth the reassurance and to cover any labor costs down the road which can often be very high.

• ictsean
    14 years ago

York built YZH is a York H/P unit, the CZH is also a H/P but is built as a Coleman unit... pretty much exactally same unit.. York unit is champaign (sp?) colored and the Coleman is Black on Grey. Working components are exactally the same on these units.. although the "Coleman" branded units do run a little less expensive. As for coil leaks... The outdoor coils have experienced virtually NO leaks.. these coils are built in the USA at the Wichita, Ks plant. The leaking coil problem that has been reported about York and Carrier units are the indoor coils. Both manufacturers were using a coating on the fins to help shed water and aid in heat transfer. In the York units this was refered to as the "Blue-fin coil". The problem seems to have been fixed by York by their closing their mexico coil plant and their moving production back to the Wichita plant, AND elimination of the blue fin coating (I have no information about the Carrier indoor coil failures and their resolutions to their problems). When getting a York system.. just simply insist that your indoor coil NOT be a York Blue-fin.. insist on a York Bare-fin coil.