Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mydreamhome_gw

Recommendations on Mini-Split Ductless Heat Pump for Garage

mydreamhome
10 years ago

I haven't been over here on the HVAC forum since last summer. We are hoping all the steps that were recommended to help keep the condensation from forming in our crawlspace really make a difference this summer! Anyway, I am back with another project. We want to install a mini-split ductless heat pump in our garage (no thru the wall units). The garage is ~24 x 28 with finished & insulated walls and ceiling. We are in central NC where we get all 4 seasons, and the summers are hot and humid. Today the high was 83 degrees and the garage was at 79 degrees according to the garage door opener temp gauge. I want to say the highest I saw the garage temp gauge go last summer was maybe 85. Usually, during the spring and fall the garage temp stays around 68 and in winter on really cold days/nights around 60. We want to make the space cool enough for the dog & cat this summer and warm enough when the temps get really cold in the winter. Any advice on size and brand of unit you would recommend for this application would be much appreciated.

Comments (6)

• weedmeister
    10 years ago

A mini-split will require a hole in the wall for the refrigerant lines and power(maybe).

• mydreamhome
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We're good with a small hole bored in the wall for the split unit's lines--that's no big deal for us. By 'thru the wall' I meant a unit like you find in hotel rooms where the perimeter of the entire unit is cut out of the exterior wall.

• roadking
    10 years ago

Differing opinions on mini split heatpumps but most would agree that Mitsubishi makes excellent equipment although it tends to be pricier than some other Japanese brands. Other Japanese brands...Fujitsu, Sharp, Panasonic and Daikin come to mind.

Probably even more important than brand is making sure it will be installed by a reputable HVAC company familiar with that brand and that has been in business for many years and will be there in the future to assist in honoring any warranty issues and service calls.

I'm surprised that your garage doesn't get significantly warmer or colder than the temperatures you reported. Would think when temps go down to the low 20's your garage wouldn't be as high as 60 degree. Is your garage door insulated?

As inverter type mini splits can throttle back on their output I'd be inclined to purchase a 24,000 btu model that should easily handle your large garage when temps reach high 90's or low 20's outside. If in the dead of winter your garage really doesn't get below 60 degrees and in the heat of summer not above mid 80's you could probably get by with an 15,000 btu to 18,000 btu model.

• fluffybunnysui
    10 years ago

"Through the wall" for a mini split means you must cut a small hole, usually 2-1/4" up to 3" for the copper tubing, electrical & drain to run thru from the inside unit to the outdoor condenser. In most cases, you will need 240vac delivered to a disconnect mounted next to the outdoor unit. Power to the indoor unit is fed from the outdoor unit via some form of communication cable. I would look at the modulating units like Roadking says above... as it is very easy to oversize these units.

• mydreamhome
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone! Yes our garage door as well as the walls and ceiling are insulated which explains why the garage temp doesn't get below 60 in the winter. Our HVAC guy is coming out next week to evaluate and make sure the mini-split ductless is the way to go.

• Shadia Zraibi
    3 years ago

What did you end up doing? I am in same situation. Thanks shadiamalik@yahoo.com