Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
george_123

Would appreciate help with HVAC quotes

George.123
10 years ago

Hello All,

I am in the process of replacing HVAC. It is my first time and I'm somewhat lost, despite the resources available on the internet. Would very much appreciate help and ideas.

So, I have a 2000 sq ft 2-st. house, in the St Louis area. Summers here can get hot, like 100 degrees, winters range from 10-40.

I have three quotes, all different brands.

1) Amana, cost after rebates $6431.
Furnace: 100K BTU, 80% AFUE, 2-stage, variable speed, Model GMVC81005CN
AC: 4-ton, 16 SEER, Model ASXC16048
Coil: "matchin a-coil"

2) Carrier, cost after rebates $8022.
Furnace: 110K BTU, 80% AFUE, 2-stage, variable speed, Model 58CVA110*20
AC: 4-ton, 17 SEER, Model 24ANB748A003
Coil: CNPVP4821ALA
Thermostat: Carrier Infinity SYSTXCCU1TN01

3) American Standard, cost after rebates $7370.
Furnace: 80% AFUE, 2-stage, variable speed, Model AUD2C100A9V5V. A little unclear if it is 79K or 100K BTU.
AC: 4-ton, 16 SEER, Model 4A76048
Coil: 4TXCC049
Thermostat: Honeywell High Definition

It seems to me that parameter-wise the systems are comparable. The companies, based on various reviews, are also all pretty good. I would appreciate any thoughts from experts and non-experts alike.

Thank you!

Comments (5)

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

If your home has even reasonable insulation qualities, you definitely don't need 100-110 KBTU furnaces even at 80% efficiency.

I would also be reasonably certain that the AC condensers at 4 ton are oversized as well but probably OK since they are two stage models.

One would have to ask why 80% eff furnaces and not 95%+ models? That would be the way to go. 80 K size either 95% or 80%.

While the Amana price is compelling, I just don't have confidence in the brand.

Any specific comfort problems? Any hot/cold spots in home?

What size is current HVAC both furnace and condenser?

Post back.

IMO

• George.123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, tigerdunes.

The present system is similar, i.e., 100K BTU and 3.5 ton, single-stage. I am being told that temperature control upstairs will be improved by the two-stage system.

The reason for going with 80% efficiency is to avoid having to install additional vents and pipes.

• George.123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tigerdunes,

May I ask why the lack of confidence in Amana? I know that Consumer Reports places Amana close to the bottom, but in furnacecompare(com) Amana is one of the best.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

First of all, if furnace is to be placed in an area close to an external wall, then the necessary venting should not be a big deal or very expensive. I think an 80% eff furnace for St. Louis is very shortsighted. And keep in mind the appeal of your home with an 80% at time of selling.

Amana is a licensed name purchased by Goodman. Goodman uses the Amana brand as their upper end line, although the low end models are close if not identical to Goodman. Goodman has had a very rocky road in the perception of their quality. Many people attribute their issues more to poor installers rather than quality of the equipment. I am not convinced. You can use Google and this site's search function to read more about the brands.

IMO

• mike_home
    10 years ago

I second the opinion about spending the extra money on a 95%+ efficiency furnace. If you calculate how much you spend on heating your home you should be able to figure the return on investment for the upgrade.