Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pesinva

Which Trane System for Rental Property

pesinva
12 years ago

I have a condo that is a rental property in Arlington, VA for which I am trying to decide which Trane unit is the best option to go with from a rental investment prospective. I have no plans on selling the condo any time soon, nor do I plan on ever living there, so the electric bills are not my major concern (tenant pays them). My main concern is longevity of the unit before the next replacement. Since it is 90 plus in DC area and the old unit if not working, I have to pull the trigger ASAP on a new unit for my tenants. The three under consideration that I have gotten quotes and could get installed in a few days are:

Trane XB13

4TWB3024 Heat Pump

4TGB3F25 Air Handler

BAYHTR1410 10 kw heat kit

TCONT600 thermostat

1yr labor, 5 year all parts.

$ 3,950.00

Trane XR13

4TWR3024 Heat Pump

4TEE3F31 Variable speed air handler

BAYHTR1410 10kw heat kit

TCONT602 Trane programmable thermostat

1 yr labor, 10 year all parts

$ 4,825.00

Trane XL15i

4TWX5024 Heat Pump

4TEE3F31 Variable speed air handler

BAYHTR1410 10kw heat kit

TCONT802 Trane touchscreen programmable thermostat

2 yr labor, 10 year parts, 12 year compressor

$ 6,255.00

$400.00 Trane instant rebate

Total final cost $ 5,855.00

Any recommendations and the reasons why are greatly appreciated! Thanks for your help.

Comments (14)

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

pesinva

since this is a rental property, I see no reason going up to the XL15i two ton heat pump. If you just wanted a 15 SEER, ask dealer for deduct going to the XR15 which should be less expensive.

my choice would be the XR13. see performance/eff numbers below.

4563103 Active Systems XR13 WEATHERTRON TRANE 4TWR3024B1 4TEE3F31B1 24000 12.00 14.00 22000 8.50 13500

your quote on the XR13 includes a var speed air handler. you could drop down to the new Hyperion high eff air handler(not var speed) which should save you some bucks without sacrificing performance/eff numbers. see below.

4563141 Active Systems XR13 WEATHERTRON TRANE 4TWR3024B1 GAM5A0A24M21 24000 12.00 14.00 22400 8.50 13600

is dealer including new refrigerant lineset? what size is existing heat strip?

I would noy pay an extra 1K for the XL15i since this is rental property. if this is same dealer, I would ask him to give you two yr labor on the XR13 system to close the deal. all he can say is yes or no.

IMO
    Good Luck!

• pesinva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have not asked about the linesets. Will do so. As a rookie, I am guessing that new linesets are something I should insist on??

As for existing heat strip, I have no clue what size existing one is. Do you feel one quoted is too big or too small? Condo is lower level piggy-back. It has two-levels with approximately 600 sqft each level (if that matters).

Finally, what about the XB13? Don't even consider it?

Thanks for your feedback!

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

pesinva

Don't be blinded by price just because this is a Trane system. You normally get what you pay for.

The XB13 system as quoted has poor performance/eff numbers across the board compared to the XR13. Also the warranty is not as strong. see below.

3263013 Active Systems XB13 WEATHERTRON TRANE 4TWB3024A1 4TGB3F25A1 23400 11.00 13.00 20600 7.70 11800

I am attaching link on HP Comparison.

For me the decision is a no brainer.

Linesets must be sized correctly for a system to achieve its capabilities. I prefer a new lineset. However if your lineset is in good condition and is the correct size, then I am not opposed to existing being flushed out by correct procedure. Howevere, if you have had a burnout on your compressor, I prefer a new lineset.

IMO

Here is a link that might be useful: Trane HP Comparison.

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

pesinva

on the size of heat strip, you could probably get away with a 7.5-8 KW. however since you are not paying the electric utility, keep it at 10 KW. I would ask dealer to tell you what size you have now.

IMO

• neohioheatpump
    12 years ago

like tiger says, I would consider the asking the contractor for the xr15 to save some bucks over the xl15i. It should be a ton more than the xr13

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

for neohioheatpump

this is rental property. really no need for a 15 SEER either XL15i or XR15.

the XR13 is really a nice system for rental.

IMO

• neohioheatpump
    12 years ago

if the xr15 price was more like the xr13 than the xl15i I would think it would be worth spend a bit more for the higher efficiency unit. Never know now if down the road the condo would be sold. I think higher efficiency equipment helps a sale.

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

for neohioheatpump

the XR13 system is a nice system, not top of line but very good for rental property.

it is quite rare that a higher grade HVAC system would make the difference between a sale or not. while we will never know for certain, I would bet that if a survey was taken on other like condos in this development that the XR13 would hold its own. I think it is a poor strategy buying HVAC thinking about resale down the road.

of course, the owner of the property can take this HVAC purchase as an expense against rental income which can be a help depending on his tax bracket and his individual situation. only the owner knows this. the fact is he needs a replacement ASAP for his renters.

it's 95 in most places in the Southeast today.

IMO

• pesinva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

As I stated in my original post, no intention on selling in the near or long term. My biggest concern is when am I going to need the next unit. Based on the advice here, I have opted for the XR13. Unfortunately, due to the real first heat of the year, there is the normal rush and I can't get it installed until Saturday. :(

Thanks again for all the feedback and advice...

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

pesinva

I do think this is the best choice from those three presented.

what about the lineset? this can be a big deal. what exactly is the reason for current system's failure?

post back.

IMO

• ryanhughes
    12 years ago

I also think the XR13 was the right choice. While it may be similar to the XB13 in terms of construction quality, it does have better efficiency ratings for both heating and cooling, and the 10 year parts warranty (vs. 10 yr compressor/5 yr other parts), which in my opinion is the most important difference. The unit must be registered with Trane within 90 days for this extended warranty to take effect -- last I checked.

• pesinva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

IMHO, the reason for the failure was the system age. It was original Bryant equipment from when the condo was built 29+ years ago. Out of 200+ condos, mine was the last survivor of the bunch as far as I could tell, and most definitely in the immediate area. It was actually one of the last remaining in 1998 when I bought the place, so it owed me nothing. The tech said that there was several issues including a compressor isssue that was tripping the breaker, evaporator coil leaking, and blower wheel bearing.

As for linesets, I poised the question and the dealer said that they did not need to be replaced, but they were going to flush them and reuse them. To replace them I would need substantial drywall removed for access (heat pump on lower level, air handler on upper level). He did not believe that we needed to go to that expense.

Finally, from what I read, you do indeed still need to register the units within 90 days with Trane for the extended warranty.

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

as long as the lineset is correct size, you will be OK. have you checked with dealer and has the dealer even bothered to check? details like this do matter.

IMO

• pesinva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Glad to hear that! Yes, I checked with the dealer after your inital post/question. He was quick to reply about the flushing and other details, so I believe that he was on top of it and checked it out. Many of my neighbors have had units set up through this rep and have had positive experiences, so I feel comfortable going with what he has to say. As a matter of fact, I had to wait until Tuesday from him to personally go out and look at the job before he would even provide me a quote even though I had a quote and set-up from another dealer.