Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindakimy

Heat pump in a double wide

lindakimy
13 years ago

Hi, all.

I haven't posted on this forum before but have been around Gardenweb for a while. I hope there are smart people here who can offer some advice.

My dh and I live in a double wide down south (SC = hot) and our air conditioner had gotten rather expensive to run. Dh found a 12 SEER air handler and a 13 SEER compressor (I'm just repeating that because I have no idea what it means) and installed them. He and a friend (who is supposed to know HVAC) also cut a couple of goodly sized holes in the floor and put in grids and they are supposed to be the "returns" now. Apparently, trailers...er...mobile homes...er...whatever...have a different type of return. The inside doors are all short - about 3 inches above the floor and that is supposed to do it. Evidently that is not what works with a regular system. I am so confused.

Well, so far...there have been massive leaks because the ducts won't stick together and dh and his friend have been trying to connect them somehow that will stay. Also, dh says that the Hunter thermostat he bought is too complicated and probably not functioning properly because the fan comes on about 9 in the a.m. and runs for a couple of hours until the compressor kicks in and then the whole thing apparently runs about all day. (I have no idea if we will be able to afford the electric bill when it comes in.)

Does any of this make any sense? Can anybody suggest what may be wrong or how to make it right? I realize my questions are pretty general...er...incoherent. But that's all I know.

I suspect that the duct work in a double wide is not the right type or not adequate for the heat pump system we now have. Am I way off with that?

I just read this over and you may think it is a joke...it's not. Seriously, this is really my mess.

HELP!

Lindakimy

Comments (3)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler