Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roncdc

New system has a leak

Roncdc
11 years ago

I have a 1 year old Payne system that has a leak, tech was here today and put about 4 lb of 410 in it9 about 50% fill). The fittings were clean and he said probably the coil or condenser is leaking, though at the condenser he was able to tighten all the valves a bit( but said that was probably not enough to lose all that 410). So now I am scheduled for a leak test is this the best next step? With so much leaking out was it good to recharge it? I paid 400 today , the leak test is 250 and labor on a new coil is 1000, I assume condenser is same. I was going to wait till the leak test then call payne to complain, I only have parts warranty. thanks

Comments (10)

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

Leak should have been located! Was dye included with the freon? Good techs who care about their job can find leaks. Bad techs just don't give a sxxt. You are being taken advantage of. Sorry just the truth!

• bpchiil
    11 years ago

tigerdunes couldn't be more right - you are being taken for a ride.

• mike_home
    11 years ago

What month was the system installed? Did you get to use it for parts of two seasons?

Don't assume it is Payne's fault.The leak could be a result of a bad installation. I doubt if this company will ever admit doing anything wrong based on how they have acted so far.

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

Let's face it. Payne is low end.

Regardless whether it was equipment or install related, this leak should have been found especially when it appears this was a major leak on relatively new HVAC.

IMO

• mike_home
    11 years ago

I agree completely. This is an unfortunate situation for the OP.

This is the reason I always recommend paying for an extended labor warranty for a new install.

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

Quality HVAC is a better answer than an insurance policy to cover the junk that exists in the HVAC residential marketplace.

And these third party warranty companies are a big part of the problem!

Everyone should know the chicken salad anecdote.

IMO

• fluffybunnysui
    11 years ago

I would think the equipment would come with a minimum 5 year parts warranty at least. I would check Paynes web site or contact the manufactor to be sure. Also, did you contact the company that installed the unit or was the guy today from another company? I would think there should be at least a 1 year labor warranty when you install a unit.

Hope this helps

• iggie
    11 years ago

You are defintely being taken for a ride any comptent tech should have equipment to locate a leak.

• tima9209
    11 years ago

I once used a company that charged $45 to wave an electronic leak detector around in addition to their basic $79 diagnostic fee. I don't use them anymore.

• mike_home
    11 years ago

Has the source of the leak been found?